Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazo's Slipstream H mount review

Whoops!

Some of you might remember my lengthy review of the DAA Vertical Mount, listing multiple shortcomings and dissapointments along with praise for its innovative design.

Since that review and after about 5000 rounds, the DAA mount cracked all the way through just behind the thumb mount cutout.

As a result, I've picked up a Brazo's Slipstream H mount.

My entire review of this can be summed up in one sentence . . . Wow, this thing is only 70 bucks????!!!

The Pros . . .

A very beefy design ... This thing is not going to crack anytime soon.

Excellent C-more placement with the optic just over my tri-topped slide.

Comes with proper torx screws and a torx wrench, not hex head garbage. It also comes with the two C-more cap screws to mount the optic.

The mount allows for normal adjustment of the C-more without removing anything or modifying any wrenches!

Moves the c-more rearward from the mounting position to clear ports, unlike the Allchin X-mount which won't even clear a 2-port Schuemann barrel

The cons . . .

Not a good anodizing job. In certain lighting conditions it appears splochy. I painted myne white as a result to match my open gun.

To close out this review, I'll say I ordered a second one of these for another open gun I'm building. Great job combining function with low cost Brazo!

Anyone looking for a horizontal mount, look no further. The other Horizontal mounts I've used have been the Quinn 2, Allchin X-mount, a Cheely mount, and one other for a Tanfoglio that I can't remember the name of. This one functions at least as well as any of those and is much cheaper!

post-24988-0-29887700-1343320694_thumb.j

post-24988-0-57656800-1343320702_thumb.j

post-24988-0-38576100-1343320711_thumb.j

Edited by Whoops!

Funny you should mention the Infinity mount as I have an old style one with the carbon graphite look on the side of it. The new ones should be better because they are no longer two piece mounts like the one I have. Myne was not sturdy enough in my opinion, but it worked fine for a vertical mount and did look cool.

The only real difference between the two now will probably be the C-more positioning. I'm an advocate of the horizontal mount for two reasons - they clear the ejection port so if your ejection isn't perfect you'll still be good to go and when shooting with one hand I am less likely to lose the dot. The first reason is obvious, the second one I can't explain but it has proven itself to me time and time again when leaning around walls and holding the gun weak hand.

Did I mention this mount is only 70 bucks? lol

Thanks for taking the time to review the mount. The mount is not anodized just bead blasted aluminum. I wanted the ability to polish the part and it was easier and cheaper to do it that way. I may offer this part anodized eventually - but it will cost more.

On another note, that new zig racker is just sexy. I just had my gun build and had it cut for a sidewinder, but I would have gotten that zig. I like the new parts, it's cool to see an established company still being innovative even when they don't have too be.

Thanks for taking the time to review the mount. The mount is not anodized just bead blasted aluminum. I wanted the ability to polish the part and it was easier and cheaper to do it that way. I may offer this part anodized eventually - but it will cost more.

Interesting, it would seem then that there should be some way to clean out the splotchiness on the one I haven't painted without too much difficulty . . . I might just break out the 12000 grit sandpaper.

Aluminum Mag polish, dremel with a felt tip will probably due wonders. The sandpaper will work too, but take more time. 800 grit maybe 1000, 12000 is a bit extreme.

:D

I'm very ocd :) . I polished the sides of the gun myself and when it doesn't have oil and crud on it, it's the closest thing I've seen to a metal mirror.

I use the Micromesh stuff and I can even see light scratches after the 12000 grit, that's when I break out the multitude of liquid polishes.