Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio EAA Witness Gold Team 38 Super Chambering Problem

sig2009

I recently bought a Tanfoglio EAA Witness Gold Team 38 Super race gun. Bought it used so I have no idea what recoil spring is in there now. The problem I am having is that the recoil spring is so light that when I chamber a round I have to nudge the slide in order for the round to chamber. Does anyone know what the original factory spring weight is? I was going to buy a Wolf Spring calibration pack but I have no idea what weights to buy. Thanks.

Edited by sig2009

I'd agree with Nealio. I have a limited .38S that I shoot in minor PF and use a 8lbs spring with no issues. If you're shooting reloads think about a full length sizer or a roll sizer. You might have a slight bulge in the cases.

I'd agree with Nealio. I have a limited .38S that I shoot in minor PF and use a 8lbs spring with no issues. If you're shooting reloads think about a full length sizer or a roll sizer. You might have a slight bulge in the cases.

It's definately not my reloads. They all chamber in the barrel and the dillon case gauge.

OR...your breach face could have burs or rough spots on it. the rim the of the casing has to slide freely up under the extractor against the breach face in order to chamber. Henning has a section that deals with the extractor. Took me some trial and error to get my build to work properly.

What I am seeing is that when the round is stripped from the mag it noses up into the chamber but the base of the case is only being slightly grabbed by the extractor. Unfortunately I see nothing on the Henning website or any type of discussion about extractor issues. I tried calling yesterday just got voicemail.

Edited by sig2009

probably 10-11 lbs. that should be plenty strong to chamber. I had to dress the extractor,...

By "dress the extractor" I assume you polished the parts of the extractor where the case rim (and the extractor groove on the case) slips into the extractor. What did you use to do that, a small file or a stone?

Edited by jmbaccolyte

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it is the spring unless the person built a custom 4lb spring. I would guess its the extractor tension.

Well it looks like it was a weak mag spring. I replaced it with the Wolf +5 and it appears to be ok now. Also replaced the recoil spring with a 10lb Wolf and firing pin spring and it everything seems to be ok.