Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Versa Max Tactical

MickB

Just took a new Versa Max Tactical home and thought I would compare it to my 26" Field model. Here are the differences;

Tactical comes in a plain cardboard box. Field model comes in a nice hard plastic fitted case.

Tactical comes with an IC internal choke and an extended "breaching", meat plug remover tactical choke. Field model comes with 5 internal chokes - IC, LM, M, IM, F.

Tactical comes with all black furniture and a high comb cheek riser. Field model comes with balck/grey furniture and no cheek riser.

Tactical comes with extended charging handle and large button bolt release. Field model comes with neither.

Tactical has new firing pin retainer fix. This is a slot cut into the bolt for the o-ring to expand into. I had to modify my Field model to this configuration. This thing isn't going anywhere!

Tactical comes with nordic red aluminium shell follower. Field model comes with orange plastic follower.

tactical has a black mag tube with no dimples. Field model has silver tube with dimples.

Tactical has the "devil's fork" shell lifter. Same as the Field model.

Tactical has Nordic extended mag tube. This is different from the regular Nordic tube. There is a notch in the tube to stop the mag clamp from sliding around. Very nice touch!

Thread pattern on the Nordic tube is different from Nordic's regular pattern. This means thread pattern in the nut is also different and extended mag caps will not fit.

Tactical mag tube almost holds 9 shells.

Overall, I think this is almost perfect for 3 gun. I think Remington needs to also throw in an extended IC or LM choke tube. The Tactical extended choke I can do without.

Nordic also needs to make a 1.5" extended end cap for the Tactical to take it out to 9rd capacity!

Mick

Edited by MickB

I will have both the 26" and the new tactical out with me on Saturday.

I also hope to have a new prototype front sight for the 26" to go with the ghost ring rear sight...

Mick

Are you bringing both out this Saturday for demos?

Edited by MickB

The Tactical just feels "stubbier" and points a little differently. Seems to move from point to point faster. I will get a much better answer to your question after this weekend's 3-gun match.

Mick

Nice summary. Thank you.

How do you find the weight and balance to compare between the Tactical and 26" field model?

Both need the lower receiver machined down and opened up a lot. lifter exteneded and welded up, 9-11 rd. mag tube to be serious and safty set for easy on/off. I would also lighten and flute the bolt although some will leave it as is.

The new Versa Max Tactical ran 100% at today's 3 gun match. It pointed well and transitioned very fast, particularly between obstacles.

For those looking for extended pro Bore chokes, CDNN has them for $9.99. I bought both an IC and LM.

In my opinion, there needs to be a new end cap to easily take this out to 9rd capacity without having to buy a new tube and end cap. With an extended choke, a new 2" end cap will be 1/8" to 1/4" past the end of the choke tube - good enough to provide a little stand off protection to the muzzle when doing barrel dumps.

I hope to have a prototype made up this week. Anyone else interested in something like this?

Mick

Both need the lower receiver machined down and opened up a lot. lifter exteneded and welded up, 9-11 rd. mag tube to be serious and safty set for easy on/off. I would also lighten and flute the bolt although some will leave it as is.

I'm a noob to three gun especially since my first match in several years was this last weekend. If in Tac-Optics (which is what I usually shoot) and the limit is 9 rounds, why would you need an 11 round mag tube? Is it for easier loading?

Exactly. In many stages, you need to run to some shooting position to begin to engage targets. If moving and not actually shotting, then you might as well stuff in extra shells after the start timer goes off.

Mick

You can only have 9 in the gun to start, but you can have as many shells in the gun as you want after the beep.

I thought there was a capacity restriction of 8 in the tube? or am I thinking of last years or two years ago?

Would be interested in the above answer.

There is no singular answer. Depends on the match rules. My understanding of existing USPSA Multigun rules is that any capacity greater than 8 rounds in the tube at any time will immediately put you in Open for the entire match. to muddy the waters, the proposed rule changes would relax that some. See USPSA for more details.

Many matches have their own rule set independent of USPSA. In many of those, you can start with 8 and then do as you wish in the course of fire.

But, I already said heck with all of that and decided shoot Open. Much less to worry about!:devil:

• 6 months later...

I will have both the 26" and the new tactical out with me on Saturday.

I also hope to have a new prototype front sight for the 26" to go with the ghost ring rear sight...

Mick

Are you bringing both out this Saturday for demos?

Can you share some info or a pictures of your sight set up?

The rear sight is a PSI ghost ring, and for the front, after a lot of fiddling and design work, decided to go with a dove tailed XS sight.

I'll try and take pics when I get the gun back from the shop...