Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

one determined man and a dremel tool

Mat Price

Ok so no mill no drill press and no band saw what is a fella to do! break out the dremel with a cut off disk and some 60 grit barrels and go to work.

so I had this big ole honkin comp on my gun tooo heavy and not needed.

150162_10150863243889375_1459204033_n.jpg

I decided before I spent the money on a titanuim comp lightening would make a noticeable difference.

sooo I went to work

First I used a cut off wheel to get it close. then i started knocking it down with sanding barrels

IMG_0089.jpg

so I brought it down with 60 and shaped it up with 120 till i got here

IMG_0090.jpg

The ni decided the side bleeders needed to be bigger since i cut off the front end. I got out my uni bit chucked up in my cordless drill and went to drilling the angle.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Edited by Mat Price

Rat rodding a race gun is nearly a lost art, so you are my hero! :cheers:

Gotta let us know how it shoots and what differences you notice.

I guess really all I did was make a bravos thunder comp with out the open front chamber. If I notice The dot circling or tracking funny I am going to break out the tile bit and open the sides up on the front chamber.

Hello: Now you need to file it and polish it and call it a Harley :roflol: When I started as a Tool and Die maker I had to file and stone dies to learn the trade. So a Dremel is cheating :devil: Good job hope it does what you want it to do. Thanks, Eric

This comp was made for the days when the power factor was or 175 so most people were running 180 +.... I don't remember. So running it at 173 with all the barrel ports the front chamber and that end is IMO useless and slows cycling as well as makes the gun nose heavy. I anticipate a lil faster cycle better pointing and more forward pull from opening up the bleeders at the angle I cut. I like a heavy balanced gun with a really fast slide. That big azz steel comp really hinders it. So i got two choices lighten the comp or the slide...not ready to start chopping up a slide with a dremel tool..... YET

Hello: Now you need to file it and polish it and call it a Harley :roflol: When I started as a Tool and Die maker I had to file and stone dies to learn the trade. So a Dremel is cheating :devil: Good job hope it does what you want it to do. Thanks, Eric

I am going to make it shine just as soon as i can test drive it. So I am sure I don't have to mod it any more. I am really sure I can get it to do what i want. I am not afraid to break out the diamond cut bit and take the sides out the front chamber. you can be ballsy when you got an extra titanium bedell on the way to you lol

PS I extend the comp guide rod relief all the way using just the sanding drum! lol Truth is i do have access to a bridgeport mill and all the machine tools I want at work... problem is at work I got to much WORK and takes all of my time to play haha. So i end up on my front porch with a dremel tool and a beer:)

Edited by Mat Price

I've found a file to be a better tool than a dremel in most cases. When I turned a stock iron sighted gun into an open gun I removed the rear sight and used a file to "cut" the classic swoop in the rear of the slide. I then flat topped it with a file as well.

I don't want to steal Mat's thread, but I was at his house when he got back from the range. He told me the gun shot great. The comp that he Dremel'd looks way better than it does in the photos he posted.

Glad it seems to be working for you.

Can't believe you did ALL THAT with a Dremel! When I had my store I would cringe when customers would talk about using one.

I'd always tell them (usually with regard to two-piece 1911 ramps) "there's no problem that can't be made worse with a Dremel!"

I think that line belonged to either Kuhnhausen or Weigand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ok so here is the full report. I was very happy with how the comp performed. The lock/unlock sequence is vastly faster. The cycle rate improved and the gun shot much softer from the angle I cut the bleeder holes, they seem to pull the gun forward and down. The slide still needs to cycle faster but there is nothing i can do about that with out just lightening the slide. HOWEVER i do have a drill press at work... so I am thinking about punching some holes in the side with a cutter bit, then i can use my unibit to to cut angles or what i want to do to decorate it.

here is a video with two clips, the first is a 124 JHP with imr 4756 @ 171 pf. ( this is my new load its very very soft and extremly flat the dot lifts to the top 1/3 of the glass and rcovers super fast to dead center. The second clip is a 115 with hs-6 @ 175 pf it is also flat but not as soft as the 4756. so i got polishing everything tonight.

this pic is cool i got is close enough to flat that i can stand it on a planed granite surface with no wobble or gap

IMG_0119.jpg

Edited by Mat Price