Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suppressor testing

i hope this is the right place to post this.

i am building a suppressor for my Ar 15. I DO HAVE THE PROPER STAMP, & everything is legal.

as i'm not an expert machinist & a little worried about the aligment i would like to first try it with some cast lead bullets with a light load.

does anyone know where i can get maybe 10-20 .22 caliber 55-62 gr bullets?

thanks for any help;

jrmadbear

the experts for the alignment issue should be at silencertalk.com . I ' d chat them up first.

Somebody at the castboolits.gunloads.com should be able to help you with the cast .223 bullet issue.

i would like to get a 22 upper convertion for my wife but just don't have the $ right now. if the $ comes around before the suppressor is finished that might be the road i take. the issue with the 22 rimfire is if i use it a lot i am going to have to take it apart to clean it. i was going to thread it for just that reason but i'm not very good on the lathe so thinking about welding it up. the other option would be to use set screws which would look like crap but i could always weld it latter. then again i might be taking it to a machine shop to have it threaded for the mount anyway. so i'm still considering my options & on that point is there any SOT/07 shops in the Abq. New Mexico area that will do this job or any machine shops that i can take it to & stand by while it is being done?

thanks for the help

madbear

Firebird Precision Firearms, a forum vendor, is in your neck of the woods.

I highly doubt that there is anything Jim cannot do that needs to be done to an AR. :cheers:

Now, whether he has time or not is a different story. :surprise:

Edited by warpspeed

mscott,

the bore is .268" at the buzzle & runs out to .304".

i know that may seem like a lot but this is my first can & i don't want to end up "wearing" it.

if this 1 works the next 1 will be a lighter

Your bore being oversized is a good thing. I wouldn't cut it any less than .050. I built a .338 can that works very well on a .223, .260, and 7mm RM. I see no reason to have a tight bore on a suppressor. My next one will be lighter, too ;)

If I read your post correctly, you aren't done building it yet? I would definately make it serviceable by using threaded end caps if you want to shoot .22lr through it. Some say weld centerfire cans, but I like the option of cleaning them.

Edited by mscott

IIRC, a mix of 50/50 peroxide and vinegar will make a good cleaning solution, IF the can and its innards are made out of stainless. I don't have a clue as to how titanium, aluminum, or incolonel will hold up to that solution.

• 4 weeks later...