Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DP front sight rods keep cracking

GregJ

My Kimer's DP front sight fiber rod seems to crack pretty often. It's the .090 wide sight, so the fiber rod is .040. After some time, the middle of the rod will develop what looks like stress fractures. I do think I've hit it on anything, but it's entirely possible. Anyone else had this problem?

Thinking about going to the next wider sight for the .060 fiber rod. Maybe the .040 is just too thin.

I dont think I get the rod too hot when installing, but I suppose it's possible.

Are you sure there is tension holding the rod in there? When installed there should be no play forward and backward in the rod. If so they will vibrate and crack. Dawson has a good YouTube video on proper install.

No play in the rod. The cracks are in the exact middle of the rod, like it's weak or something hit it. If there was play, I suspect one end of the rod would eventualy break off - never had that happen. Watched their vid many times, it's very helpful, and exactly how I install the rods. :cheers:

Edited by GregJ

I had a problem with my Trojan doing this a while back.

I was at a match, and my FO insert was gone at the end of each stage?

When I got home, I switched to a new rod all together, and chunked the piece I was using. Havent had a problem since.

I have no idea if a weak piece of FO rod was really the problem, but it seemed to help.

Also, Ive heard (I think from Dave Dawson) that some solvents and gun cleaners can make the rode brittle.

Just ideas.

Thanks guys, I'll check the sight next time I change the rod. Interesting that I've never lost a rod, just noticed the stress cracks in the middle of it. I've only Hoppes #9, and try to keep it away from the FO rod.

I'll try and take pic of it the next time it happens and see what DP says.