Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What a Moron

So, as I mentioned in another thread yesterday I converted my 1050 from 9mm to 45ACP. Everything assembled nicely and a caliber conversion on a 1050 really is no big deal.

Setup all the stations no problem but as soon as I start my run I am getting lots of flipped/crushed primers. Check and clean everything primer related and everything looks good. Still more crushed primers and even detonated one so figured it was time to quit.

Got back to it today and started by cycling 100 primers through the machine with no brass to be sure they are not flipping in the tube or tray. Picked a 100 primers off the plunger with tweezers all right side up. Start running brass and I crush one right off the bat.

Then I notice something quite odd with one of the cases. I have small primer 45 brass mixed with my normally large primer brass. Talk about missing the obvious. They weren't flipped it just looked it as the anvil was seated in the pocket. Of course I could have put 2 and 2 together and realize if I have a flattened cup on the bench and the anvil is in the case it can't be flipped. Idiot. How in the world more than one didn't detonate I don't know.

Sorted the batch that was in the hopper and not surprisingly they ran like silk.

At least it was the weekend I save myself the embarrassment of calling Dillon and having them find the problem.

You don't go by feel when seating a primer on a 1050. At least not when the primer pocket matches the primer. But I certainly did feel everyone of these that was wrong esp. the one I lit off.

Edit: I get it...you asked how I didn't feel swaging a small primer pocket with a large swager. Good question. All of these are non-crimped so the swager is adjusted low not doing any work. But I think I will adjust it up so as to be a check point. :cheers:

Edited by mcracco

if THATS the worst mistake you ever make while reloading ur way ahead of me and of most of us i think. i had a new PW 12 gage loader that THREE TIMES i had to take apart to see why the damn handle was jamming right in the middle of a good fast run. THREE TIMES i diagnosed it after disassembling the machine then did it again a few weeks later. problem? the loaded shells were backing up against the backstop of the bench and rolling under the handle thus jamming it up. the 3rd time i cut a hole under the damn ejection chute and let em fall into a box. problem mysteriuosly disappeared! i was so engrossed in what i was doing at the time i musta been in a reloading induced la-la land. gotta love the 70's!

Put the swage rod in and have it adjusted when loading 45 acp so you will know when you have a small primer piece of brass. You can feel it, and stop and pull it out.

If you pull all the way through or are not sure, pull that case out, and also pull out the case in the powder station and just dump it. You wont know if it got the full dump of powder, so just pull the powder station case and not worry about it.

Just something new to remember now that you have to worry about small primer brass.... :rolleyes:

DougC