Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Primers

mrdon

I ran my first 100 consecutive rounds and about 10 of them had slightly high primers. Sitting them on a flat surface they were high in the center.Im using a 650 and making sure to push all the way up and down on the handle.The other thing is after setting OAL at 1.259 it varies from 1.257 to 1.261.I'm thinking thats probably acceptable but is it a normal occurance? Loading Precision 230 Gr.FMJ and used cases. Just trying to work the bugs out.I would really like to be able to run a thousand rounds without worrying about out of spec. issues.I'm new so don't know whats normal or not on this machine.

10% is 10% too many. Check for crimped pockets or anything that would stop a primer from entering fully. Your variations on OAL are fine.

Edited by Youngeyes

10% is 10% too many. Check for crimped pockets or anything that would stop a primer from entering fully. Your variations on OAL are fine.

+1. Your oal fluctuation is within normal expectations. As for the high primers I have no issues on my 650 in 9mm. The brass may have crimped pockets. See if your high primers are all in the same headstamp brass. If so that rules the press out.

+1. Your oal fluctuation is within normal expectations. As for the high primers I have no issues on my 650 in 9mm. The brass may have crimped pockets. See if your high primers are all in the same headstamp brass. If so that rules the press out.

Case brands vary and I'm using large primers.Youngeyes I can't see anything unusual about the primer pockets. Guess I'll call Dillon tomorrow. Going to order some new brass soon and see if there is an improvement.

FWIW, my Starline brass seats the primers the best, just a nice positive feel when they seat. The Winchesters seem to be a bit tight. For me only the Winchesters give me issues though, just tighter pockets IMO.

Make sure your primer seat assembly is screwed in all the way

sorry for the double post

Edited by jcmios

I'm starting to think it's operator error.I noticed the handle was jamming up against the cartridge bin.I had the bin pushed too far to the front. Duh. That and trying to pay attention to too many things at once. I did check everything you guys suggested.I'm thinking time and practice will work it out.Thanks for jumping in to help.

• 4 months later...

I usually double tap the primer seating. I used to get some slightly high primers and realized that when I seat the primers quickly, I think the surface resistance of the primer against the primer pocket binds up a little so when I relax the arm a little and give it another push I get it in much deeper. I find this particularly important when loading for a revolver with a light trigger.

Paul