Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shells wiggling in 550

In my new 550 every 10 or so rounds the shell going into the powder funnel gets misaligned (the middle of the bottom of the funnel hits the edge, not inside the case), the cases appear somewhat loose in the shell plate. This is for 9mm and I'm using a 9mm shellplate. Should I tighten the shellplate, or is there some other solution?

I'm using #3 buttons. Only thing I could think of is the paperclip thing on station one could be tighter I suppose, but it doesn't hold the shell in on station 2.

The paper clip thingy,doohicky, just acts like a button for station 1.

FWIW.. my shellplate and the index wheel, moves very little. And it's all the ball/spring movement.

Is the toolead in all the way?

Try tightening up on the sheelplate bolt, a little.

Also check the FAQ's. I think Erik posted somehting about makeing the shellplate index less 'clicky' so powder wouldn't spill snapping it to station 3. Major nine, those cases have to be preety full, you'll avoid powder spillage.

If those don't work, call Dillon, great customer support...

the best way I've personally found to adjust the shellplate bolt tension is as follows: First, loosen the set screw on the left side of the shaft about 1/2 turn. Lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt, where it fits into a recess in the top of the index sprocket. Tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, then back it up between 1/16 and 1/8 turn. Snug the set screw on the side of the shaft. Now make sure that the shellplate rotates without dragging. Finally, press down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 and 3. It should not feel springy. If it does, then the shellplate needs to be a tiny bit tighter.