Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much powder can you put in a case?

rtr

I'm a new reloader, loading major 9 on a 550. The gunsmith who built the gun ran some rounds of about 7.6 grains of VV 3N37 with 124 grain bullets and chronoed it at major. I'm starting with a load of 7.0 grains of the same powder (I bought the rest of the keg from him) with same weight bullet (different brand). I'm a little concerned in that 7.0 grains takes up a whole lot of the case, as best I can tell the bullet doesn't touch the powder when its seated, but it gets relatively close. Is this safe?

my 38 super is a compressed load

I'm not familiar with the term "compressed load". I've read through all the major 9 discussions here and don't recall any talk about the actual height of the powder charge in relation to the height of the case, did I miss something? Thanks.

I would wager that 9mm Major is going to be a compressed load. Heck, my .38 Super load is almost a compressed load and I have tons more case volume.

Another powder to try would be VV N350. A little slower burning (i.e. more powder) but the recoil is a little nicer (to me) and you'll definitely have less fireballs.

Rich

Consult the powder manufacturer`s manual.

Overall length of loaded round, bullet diameter, bullet profile, bullet composition and weight, choice of primer and brass, quantity of and choice of powder, barrell length, chamber dimensions, clearance between loaded round and the start of rifling ALL have an effect on maximum pressure.

For a semi-auto--

A general safe rule is to load to max overall length for a given projectile that will reliably feed in your magazine and chamber allowing the slide to lock all the way forward.

Start with a quantity of powder which is 10% less than the recommended maximum according to the powder manufacturer for your barrel length and bullet weight.

Your barrel length or bullet weight not listed?

Go with the data listed for the closest shorter barrel length, or higher bullet weight .

The load that your friendly shooting mate swears by in his firearm is not necessarily safe for use in yours.

With standard loads in 45, and 40 it would be possible to double charge a case.  I always visually check prior to seating a bullet.  TXAG

A powder-checker is an unique solution to avoid this. I have 'm on all of my toolheads, .38SA, .40S&W and .30M1.

Henny.

My guess is that there's a powderchecker for 9 mm as well B)

RTR,

One thing is for certain....you will know if you double charge a 9major...there is no way for a 9mm case to hold 2 charges.

Your 3n37 load is about right, but what oal are you using, this will make a huge difference. Most loads will only be slightly compressed.

I eventually switched to 3n38 (then true blue) and used about the same weight as chris listed.

Mike

One thing is for certain....you will know if you double charge a 9major...there is no way for a 9mm case to hold 2 charges.

Yeah, I've doubled charged a couple by mistake and it was quite obvious.

Your 3n37 load is about right, but what oal are you using, this will make a huge difference. Most loads will only be slightly compressed.

I'm using 1.160 OAL. The 7.0 grains had no pressure problems but clearly didn't create enough momentum for the slide, the gunsmith chronoed some loads of 7.5 grains at 1330 so I'll work my way up to that.