Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand in cast for 12 weeks

chbrow10

I just found out that my strong hand will be in a cast from August until October, including during the Area 4 match. I will not have the use of my thumb. I will have some use of my 4 (non-thumb) fingers. I would like to continue shooting USPSA. I will need to shoot weak hand only, with the possible exception of reloads.

Here are my options:

1) Single Stack 1911 with ambi safety. 45 ACP

2) Limited division gun without ambi safety. 40 S&W

3) Glock 34 production rig. 9mm.

I'm leaning toward the G34 in Limited minor to minimize reloads.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Realistically you know you're not going to be competitive shooting a whole stage weak-hand only. With that in mind, since its just about "staying in the saddle", why not get a couple 170mm mags for that Glock 34 and shoot it in Open? Nothing says you HAVE to have an optic there :). That'll keep you from having to reload at all on most stages.

I had the same situation. Surgery on my strong hand thumb. I bought a cheap Black Hawk left handed holster and shot with a Glock 17. My vote's for limited minor. Look on the bright side, you'll be alot better with your weak hand stages after this :)

I remember last year a kid who was like 13 or 14 came to the Georgia state IDPA championship with a cast on his strong hand. His dad said he had gotten a week before the match but he still wanted to come and they had already paid. He shot 7-8 of the stages but ended up with a DQ because he broke the 180 at some point because he was pretty much doing everything backwards.

Good luck with your situation, whatever it might be.

Realistically you know you're not going to be competitive shooting a whole stage weak-hand only. With that in mind, since its just about "staying in the saddle", why not get a couple 170mm mags for that Glock 34 and shoot it in Open? Nothing says you HAVE to have an optic there :). That'll keep you from having to reload at all on most stages.

Perhaps not at first. I wouldn't mind the practice at reloading, so I'd just shoot whatever sounds like more fun.

I've shot weak-hand at steel challenge just for practice. My times around 10-12% slower than strong hand, and my weak-hand shooting has improved from the practice.

I'm not worried about drawing from the holster, as I'll be drawing with my weak hand. I'm more concerned with being able to "make ready" and "unloading and showing clear" with limited use of my strong hand...

No thumb makes it hard to rack the slide... I guess you could switch hands. Seems like it might lead to an unsafe situation. Like dropping a loaded pistol. I'd say put a slide racker on it somehow. Buy big stick open mags and run no optics. Weak hand stance means you will probably get clobbered no matter what division you shoot in. Just make it as easy as possible to shoot, MR, and UASC. Can you even grip freestyle with your support hand in a cast? Would the thumb be in the way of the ejection path??

I had a similar problem a couple years ago. Other problems you might encounter could be clearing jabs, dealing with props like doors, ropes ect. I tried what you're talking about doing. A few things I encounter on some stages really hurt my hand as in painful and I paid for it later that night.

I settled for practicing at home and come match day I either scored or RO'ed.

Good luck to you