Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

jswitt99

jswitt99

I have been trying to absorb as much as I could the last year understanding all that is reloading and uspsa from this site. I originally attempted to build an open glock 40 and it actually worked flawless, but I never felt like it was what I wanted. Last week, I decided I was done with the obsessing with tinkering and deciced to buy a custom STI (thanks ogiebb!! it rocked).

I quickly bought Berry's and Titegroup as it was what was avail on short notice at Cabelas. I received the gun this Thursday and reloaded yesterday. Determined to finally get to a match, it happended today, thanks to a few friends that have been pushing and supporting me to just get to a damn match...

First match with a new to me STI observations:

Wow, that buzzer creates your mind to go to jello. The first stage I was nothing but adreneline and nerves. I made ready, buzzer goes off and I sprint (felt like sprint, more like a slow motion lumbering) to the left to engage my first target. What do I do? I try and load a mag...wow, nerves made me a mess. I don't remember the first two targets. Turn to the right and completely forget to reload. Get to second set and finally reload and I have a ftf. New gun, so I don't even know what is happening. The awesome RO calmly told to rack slide...wow what a mess.

New gun, new index. Oh yeah, and focus on sites (Thanks Brent!).

Elbows need to go out and up. Squat more and lean forward. Work on moving and shooting, that is HARD.

Work on my extremely weak grip.

Slow down shooting, speed up moves. Kept saying this all day, but it was almost impossible.

Calm down. Dunno how or when the shakes will go away, but that was annoying. RO asked me on 4th stage it I was nervous as making ready. I wasn't, but hands shaking like an 8.2 earthquake at a jello factory.

Slow down Shooting. Keep saying this over and over...

Calling shots, what is that again? wow, sounds easy reading about it. One stage I had 5 mikes and had no clue...

Steel seemed way easier than paper. See above.

Eat more salads than hamburgers.

I ended up 12th of 16. Felt like 20 of 16. I did have some success on the last stage. I focused on sites, slowed down a tad and I think the shakes kinda went away. Ended up in 7th with 60% of points. Ok, I can do this...

All the dry fire, range time and reading cannot prepare you (me) for that first match. But nothing else felt so awesome.

I am shooting the summer shootout next weekend in San Antonio and cannot wait for the next lesson.

First stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCGngPU6X8&feature=plcp

Last stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV4Ru2NxZzY&feature=plcp

what used to help me when id get nervous during stages, when i first started shooting, is make a gameplan. right when you do your walk through, start planning everything. where/how you start, what point you go to first, what targets you take from there, where you need to move second, what targets second, where to reload ( always on the move if you can help it). talk with your squad mates, put some ideas out there. once you settle on a good plan. replay it in your head over and over, while your taping, and resetting the stage. keep thinking about what your gonna do. it will be easier to think about it during the stage. it will get better with practice, and experience.

There is a lot to absorb in this shooting sport. Keep reading, practicing and it will come if you work at it. Work on your weaknesses and make them strengths. Getting the hits has to come first.

Don't beat yourself up over your first match! Looks like you did a good job and didn't present any safety concerns, which is the main concern! With that said, I agree with User293, you HAVE to have a plan, and you need to go through it a LOT before the shooting starts. When I do a walkthrough, I am mentally running it through my head, while physically walking the course, and presenting "my hands" at the targets (like I am shooting). Looks dumb? Sure, but it helps.

Other than that, just keep reading and working on your flaws, there are plenty of them, but just take on one at a time and learn. The nervousness will go away after a few matches. Heck, I've been shooting USPSA for almost a year now but I just decided to shoot Steel again, which I've only shot twice in the past over a year ago. I was so nervous I fumbled a draw and a reload at least once, and was pretty slow on my time. I don't do this for USPSA, because it's what I'm used to shooting. My point is, when you do something you haven't done in a long time, or if it's completely new, it's normal to be nervous. It WILL go away, just keep focused.

When you have a few more matches under your belt, you will feel less nervous, and more comfortable. It is a great idea to have a plan as to how you will approach a stage so that there are as few surprises as possible. I know I've had the best possible run when all I remember about it was how the sights looked while I was shooting. Almost an out of body experience where I'm already watching the first person vid, in slowmo.

For your first few matches, focus on safety, having a plan, and getting good hits. Don't worry about how fast you are, or how you compare to anybody else. Watch the best shooters in your squad and try to learn from them, but DON'T try to go fast! That is for later.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy

No DQ and you had fun. I'd call that a successful first match! Congrats! :cheers:

This sport is a collection of many skills most of which have to be developed. You started at square one. Don't fret, everyone starts there.

My suggestion for the actual shooting, focus on the fundamentals: calling your shots and eliminating extra movements. Forget about elapsed time and match placement for the short term.

For the gun, because it's new to you: sight in and function fire it with your ammo so you know where it shoots and you know it will shoot. Get at least a thou down range before you think about making any changes. If you have problems, document it for analysis but don't change anything. You might contact the seller and ask if he had the same experience.

Then go out again and again and have a blast!

7 days later. Second match...

Still decompressing what happened today.

Stage 1 went from ugly, to "STOP!".

It was the best 50 penalty points I could ever get, and I finished the day.

Thanks to my new best friend Jeff.

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qIyOitTxbgg

So... my second match, stage one and I hear "stop!" at the end of the stage with 3 targets at 35 yards left - 2 popppers and a paper. I go to engage last targets and I feel like I experience a ftf...I try and rack slide as I hear the dreaded words "stop!!!". Shit, what did I do wrong...this will be a long day of pasting...

I had a squib on my second match...

Luckily, my RO Jeff S. was quick to react as I had no clue. Saved my new Sti custom from a boom. WOW.

I started this stage loading to 20, and my first mag dropped after the first shoot and I fumbled the reload to the table...
"note to self, only load to 19 on these mags...."

I consider myself very lucky to have a great RO that saved my gun. I give him the credit for the quick responce, but the bullet didn't travel far enough to let me chamber a new round, so I had a lot looking out for me.

Next stage I witnessed an open gun shooter with a squib. The shooter realized what happened, but the RO didn't.

I ended up 20th of 26 with 45% of match points. 134 a's 6 mikes (3 from the 3 no engages from squib, I think?)

I think I was around 70th of 100 in limited, practiscore down...

Last stage was a bonus cash stage. I knew I wasn't gonna win, but ws is interesting is this was my best stage of the day at 59th overall, 12th for limited...guess I need to learn to let loose like this stage... yes, on a few targets a shot 3 a's....at least they were all A's!
Shot this in 14.99, open shooter won at 7.0 something Ithink... :blink: Edited by jswitt99

I started this thread in video tips...and asked "flexmoney" to move to here.

I just want to give back to the year it took me to get to my first match...I hope that my faults gets someone to a match.

I will give no tips, other than my faults to help someone out there get to a match quicker than I did...

the journey starts...

I have thick skin, which is why I went on a diet at 228. <_<

Yesterday there was an electrical fire at work. Shut down major systems for 3-4 hours yesterday and had same issues today. Long days, so my plan to dry fire 5 times a week is not working this week.

Day 10 on my diet and goal to lose 30 lbs. The "my fit app" is awesome in helping me see how simple choices can make a big difference. A whopper with cheese meal is 1700 caloires. My current calorie goal per day is 1800. Today I started the day with oatmeal, a teaspoon of natural peanut butter, 1/2 cup granola and a chopped apple. It was all I could do to finish it. Very filling and pretty damn good. Not taquito good, but good. That along with chipotle steak bowl with no cheese or sour cream and I consumed 930 caloires today. Back out the caloires burned from 3.5 miles of walking today and I netted only 560 caliores comsumed. I am really not even hungry, but I am not sure that is entirely healthy. The thought of losing the weight to help me move faster is very motivating. Especially after watching last weeks match. Man, I can really move slow...

My goal last match was to eliminate mikes (I think I had 15 the first match) and shoot A's. I got 134 a's 22 b's and 6 mikes which the squib didn't help. Even though I was slow, I did focus on my goal and make some good head way. My other problem was I counted at least 12 extra shots that were almost all after shooting 2 A's into paper. I know, extra A's don't count...I need to learn to trust my shots and move.

Steal seemed musch easier, but I did struggle on a few that were 25+ yards.For some reason I saw my sights not on target when I fired, So I am seeing sights, just not the correct picture...Dunno why I can remember the sight pitcture on steel, maybe the white back ground. Have to focus on that...

With my schedule, I figured the next time I would get to shoot would be the 15th. I found a Thursday evening steel shoot next week, so I will go to that with the focus on getting my grip right (too much flip in vids)and just more range time with the new gun. If I can focus on grip and target transitions it will be worth the 150 mile round trip.

Should I go eat a steak or a bag of carrots...choices... :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7G5l2SLjHQ&feature=player_detailpage

This is my best stage of the day. I was 27 seconds, the winner in limited was 15.5ish...

I need to snap to targets quicker, especially with not much movement here. I don't know why I hesitated to snap to second swinger and I had a mike on the first, which i knew I did...left points.

These were my first swingers...looks like timing is every thing. On the second set, I could have engaged it when it first presented, but I was focused on my plan which was to shoot last...cost me time. Lesson learned, but I think it will take me a lot of swingers to get this down.

For some reason, this is the only stage where my flip doesn't look as bad. Coco bolo RO'd this and he helped walk me through the pre stage, so I think that settled me down a bit...thanks Ron!

It was great to meet someone that has helped me through thought processes over the last year. :cheers: Edited by jswitt99

Barely dry fired all week. I really need Steve's book as I need the structure.

I made it to my first Steel shoot at Temple Gun Club. 160 miles round trip, but it was rounds down rage which I need.

I blew the first stage. Shakes kicked in for some reason. Missed a ton, rushed.

The second stage I calmed down. I think it was the speed option and I avg'd 6ish, which isn't great.

4 to go (is it 5 to go?) I dialed in and best run was 4.5 sec. I got rushed to shoot because the sun was setting, put on clear glasses and it just seemed to flow. I think not having the chance to really over think it just got me shooting faster and accurate.

I will definetly go back as I see this as great training for USPSA. I loaded full mags and shot major.

There were a lot of .22 shooters and I was the only 40 limited shooter that I saw, but it was great to just hear the buzzer.

3rd match and it just makes me want to go to more.

Note to self, buy Steve's book and dry fire daily.

Indoor Range Time today -

I realized I had not shot my new sti at a range, only at a match... so worked on a few things.

My focus was to really work on my grip and stance. More aggressive stance, lean forward more, head in shoulders, balanced weight from hips, neutral yet firm grip, weak hand more forward and canted down with thumb extended more...

I also focused on really calling the shot and seeing what I am doing and when I am breaking the trigger. I had 3 loads:

Berry's 180's, 4.5 tg, 1.14

Bayou 155's, 5.5 tg, 1.14

Bayou 155's, 8.0 hs6, 1.12

I wanted to also see for myself the difference in shooting heavier bullets vs light and faster/slower powders. I have a thousand of the 155's so I was going to just shoot those and then go back to Berry's or MG's.

Berry's was obviously the flattest and my most accurate, from 15 yrds:

010.jpg

Bayou 155 with 5.5tg was noticably more flip, but I was shooting slow so this is interesting:

011.jpg

I am not thinking this was a huge difference in accuarcy in the bullets/load but more of me thinking about the load and not the shot. I only loaded up about 30 to test, so I need to take more of this load to really see if it was me or not.

Bayou 155 with 8.0 Hs6, 1.12:

014.jpg

I had a bunch of these left over from a starting open load. Felt like a .45 with a lot of flip. Recoil doesn't bother me.

The shot above was my last of this bunch and I focused only on calling the shot. I actually called each one of these, I think that was a true moment actually experiencing this. It took a lot of concentration and just letting the shot break. It will take a lot to get me truely doing this in a match, but I see a bit of light.

I realized today that I consistantly break my shot when my sites are just below the center of my target. I think this is my bad habit of aiming this way for many years prior to actually thinking of what I am doing. I really struggled with a green FO front at the indoor range.

I usually hate going to and indoor range, but this am I was the only one there. I need to do more morning sessions.

I am jerking the trigger some. There are 5 shots on the last picture on the white target and I had quite a few groups low and left. I have to remember this isn't a glock...

I think I will use my 155's with tg for the range and get Berry's for my matches for now.

Edited by jswitt99

Monday will be 1st month of dieting. The goal was 10 lbs a month for 3 months. I hit -10lbs today at 218.

I got a promotion today (lateral $ wise) and really wanted to order a pizza, but have fish tacos in the oven - fresh from Rockport. No excuses.

I will be shooitng alpha mikes on Sunday.

Goal:

Speed the f--- up. I am hitting A's, I just need to plan better and move with a sense of urgency.

Goal= 60% of match points.

I have shot 2 stages at 60+ points, so I can do it. Consistantcy will be the determining factor - duh...

Focus, release, hit goals.

• 1 month later...

Been a long 6 weeks of work and attempting to purchase some land that is bank owned. Note to self, NEVER attempt to buy a bank owned property again...

I dry fired for the first time in over a month last night. Felt odd...ugh.

Planning on shooting a match this Sunday. Goal is to relax and have fun.

Looks like I will be in a contract for land tomorrow. The dream of a private range is only a step away and a bulldozer... :blink:

Anyone in Austin have an idle dozer in the back yard? :devil:

I need to shoot.

• 1 month later...

Long 2 months...

The bank owned property closed, finally. Spent a day with 2 brush cutters just clearing an area to bring in an RV or maybe a mobile home. I am too old to realisticaly think a tent is sufficient. :roflol:

Had a birthday a few days ago and picked up a Walther PPQ for carry. IWB naked feels pretty nice. Sights suck and the mag release was odd at first, but dry fire mag release drills really have me liking this set up for SD.

I really need to shoot some damn rounds down range. Been too long since I thought of gunning and comp...3 gun nation has kept my interest up big time.

Need a dozer and some steel targets to get back into this...why did I make this so complicated? :blink:

I have to keep thinking looong run...