Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can my wife bring ammo?

Going to the nationals in October. I am leaving Wednesday morning and my wife will be coming in on Thursday night due to work obligation. Is there any issues if she brings 11 lbs of ammo in her check in bag? Does she have to declare anything?

Going to the nationals in October. I am leaving Wednesday morning and my wife will be coming in on Thursday night due to work obligation. Is there any issues if she brings 11 lbs of ammo in her check in bag? Does she have to declare anything?

No problem. 11 lbs per person per bag. So two people traveling with two bags and 11 lbs in each bag, good to go. Technically, no she does not have to declare but it is better if you do so TSA is not surprised. I usually only declare the gun and only say I have 11 lbs of ammo if they ask. Never get the same treatment, some agents kind of freak out and want you to prove the gun is unloaded and weight the ammo. Others don't even break stride, accept you word and place the special tag in you baggage and off you go. Same with the bag screening TSA agent, some want to open the bag and inspect everything, other simply look up and see you waiting the just nod and off the bag goes. Some the worst are the small town air ports.

You can always ship your ammo to the match. American Shooters Supply in Vegas has been a match sponsor in the past and has offered to receive ammo for competitors several weeks before the match. Watch for additional info on the Nationals website.

MDA