AR x39

stinsonbeach

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - so I'm a quiter.

So what?

I just bought an ACT fire control from Brownells.

6.5 #'s.

"...I'm so ashamed..."

:cheers:

Looks good! Now if you polished the mating surfaces, you might get down to that illusive 5# :devil:

Ok - so I'm a quiter.

So what?

I just bought an ACT fire control from Brownells.

6.5 #'s.

"...I'm so ashamed..."

:cheers:

Looks good! Now if you polished the mating surfaces, you might get down to that illusive 5# :devil:

...don't want to go under 6#'s as the AK is 5.5.

It already shipped - ya' gotta' love Brownells - so I should have it x Friday as it's coming x 1st Class . . . tho w/ the new & improved PO you never know!

Ya, Brownell's rocks, so does Amazon Prime, they get what ever it is to you no mess'n around.

Was just look'n up B 1/4 3rd and ran into a site for MC people to connect. One guy was writing about hill 950. I have often wondered what became of some of the people I encountered different places. I never went, never got an invitation and am not usually a gate crasher.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ya, Brownell's rocks, so does Amazon Prime, they get what ever it is to you no mess'n around.

*** never heard of A-Prime?

Was just look'n up B 1/4 3rd and ran into a site for MC people to connect. One guy was writing about hill 950.

*** overlooking Khe Sanh Valley - along w/ 1050...got a great story about those two "hills" but if I told you, I'd piss off all the vaunted Green Barrettes! ...'coruse Army v. "The Crotch" - I think they call it "The Suck" now days - goes back a long way!

I have often wondered what became of some of the people I encountered different places. I never went, never got an invitation and am not usually a gate crasher.

*** smarter than I, Gunga...

Doing some reading, I can see where the AR got a bad rep. Many had problems and went out of service at inopportune times, have heard similar problems with the M16 but like the F16, these platform have gotten the bugs worked out now I do believe. Given mil spec or better parts, good mags and a reasonable bolt life, the AR is quite dependable.

Doing some reading, I can see where the AR got a bad rep. Many had problems and went out of service at inopportune times, have heard similar problems with the M16 but like the F16, these platform have gotten the bugs worked out now I do believe. Given mil spec or better parts, good mags and a reasonable bolt life, the AR is quite dependable.

*** yup - especially now w/ the M4 feed ramps. The first had pencil barrels & 1:14 twist. I have an old Armalite 180 w/ 1:12 twist! I was "over there" when they were issued. Everyone sez they came in 1965 but we didn't get them until 1968 & everybody hated them. Because it was the wild-west & not the choreographed dance it is today, lots of guys wouldn't give up their M14's but slowly even they got won over. In the field weight is everything & engagements were within 75 yds max. Me personally like the gun hate & distrust the round.

*** yup - especially now w/ the M4 feed ramps. The first had pencil barrels & 1:14 twist. I have an old Armalite 180 w/ 1:12 twist! I was "over there" when they were issued. Everyone sez they came in 1965 but we didn't get them until 1968 & everybody hated them. Because it was the wild-west & not the choreographed dance it is today, lots of guys wouldn't give up their M14's but slowly even they got won over. In the field weight is everything & engagements were within 75 yds max. Me personally like the gun hate & distrust the round.

Ya, the round look a little lite for what it's suppose to do. The AK round looks much better suited. I've been looking at the .300 Blackout for hunting, brings more weight and still a lot of velocity.

Had a bud who carried a 12g over there, 75 yards hard to beat a 12g but they don't hold enough ammo. Interesting how the Germans thought their Mousers were enough for WW2, the M1 was such an advantage! I don't like the weight, but an auto over a bolt action is like a bi-plane compared to a jet.

I'm going to have to cut the feed ramps into my new barrel. The receiver has them, the barrel doesn't, and I don't think that's going to work very well. :blink:

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ya, the round look a little lite for what it's suppose to do. The AK round looks much better suited. I've been looking at the .300 Blackout for hunting, brings more weight and still a lot of velocity.

*** the single problem w/ the Blackout / Whisper is cost. An AK rd is same - well .311 cal actually - but 1/5 the cost! ...& even if the Apocalypse happens, a 30 cal rd w/ 2.5x the weight, is more effective at 75 yds even tho it's 1/3 slower. There are trade-offs for everything. If I could get my AK to actually hit anything, that would be my go-to gun. Indestructible & 100% reliable. So I figure a .30 cal rd in an AR is next best thing - IF I can get it right!

Had a bud who carried a 12g over there, 75 yards hard to beat a 12g but they don't hold enough ammo. Interesting how the Germans thought their Mousers were enough for WW2, the M1 was such an advantage! I don't like the weight, but an auto over a bolt action is like a bi-plane compared to a jet.

*** exactly so

I'm going to have to cut the feed ramps into my new barrel. The receiver has them, the barrel doesn't, and I don't think that's going to work very well. :blink:

*** hummm, barrels are cheap compared to machining, unless of course you do it yourself...& if you don't get it right you may be pulling your hair out trying to find the fix!!! You can get a Noveske (sp?) one of the best on the market for maybe 200-250 if you look around & if you're not shooting dimes at 300 yds you can find one for 150. Oh, if you get a new barrel & want to shoot dimes get a 20" h-bar w/ slow 1/8 or 9 twist for 62 gr green-tips but then you're going to pay about 45-60 cents / rd.

I really have done my homework on this one, & the 7.62 x 39 is the best compromise, along w/ the fact it's an easy battlefield find. Now if you don't agree - or anyone out there reading this doesn't agree - let me know. I'm open for anything!!! ...& I'd love to have a better mouse trap!

Edited by stinsonbeach

No, your way, way out ahead of me here. Only thing I know about the AK is the sound of it shooting, it's extremely reliable, and it works best for short yardage.

I was thinking of the .300 as a hunting round, so not real concerned about the cost/round. My philosophy with SHTF is have one of several calibers, 30.06, 7.62, 5.56, .45, .40, 9mm, 12g, 20g, 28, 410 caliber, .22mag, .22. Then what ever ammo is available is usable. Besides, they have different functions.

I'm going to cut the feed ramps myself. The receiver already has them, I just have to extend them. Not a big deal.

No, your way, way out ahead of me here. Only thing I know about the AK is the sound of it shooting, it's extremely reliable, and it works best for short yardage.

I was thinking of the .300 as a hunting round, so not real concerned about the cost/round. My philosophy with SHTF is have one of several calibers, 30.06, 7.62, 5.56, .45, .40, 9mm, 12g, 20g, 28, 410 caliber, .22mag, .22. Then what ever ammo is available is usable. Besides, they have different functions.

*** I've been trying to figure - for a long time now - "The" SHTF gun...& tho just when I think I've found it, I second guess myself & start all over. It gives me something to think about when I'm doing my beach-slog in the mornings. I can even make a case for the .22. Do you know where this "discussion" is being held in earnest? I'm really open to suggestions & I obviously need all the help I can get!!! I was thinking about the KelTec 14+1 shotgun but it's not perfected yet.

I'm going to cut the feed ramps myself. The receiver already has them, I just have to extend them. Not a big deal.

*** let me know how it turns out. I'm very interested...& one thing I've learned is there is no such thing as "Not a big deal."!!!

...so good luck!

Ok - here we are:

r

- bought an ALG fire control group from Brownells (100-009-796) which is the cheap one - $42.

- put it in this morning, went to range.

- ran 100%

- brought the trigger pull down from about 9+#'s to just over 6 (6.1 x Lyman trigger gauge)

- BUT that is not the best part...it is smooth. VERY. It doesn't feel like 6# - but then again the gritty 9.5 # was a nightmare.

Conclusion: having fought w/ the crappy Russian rounds for what now, a month?, I cannot recommend this "fix" highly enough. I've had, oh I don't know, maybe 6 or 8 different fire control & spring combos & none of them worked except that brutal stock AR 9.5 # trigger group. This works & makes shooting the x39 round a pleasure.

W/ the new gov't contract reaching out for all the .223 it can find for the next 3 years & the election coming in 4 months, the price of everything is going to skyrocket. The .30 cal Russian may be best "bang for the buck" - pun intended, sorry - you can find. I haven't really gone & played w/ it yet but will shortly. I have a feeling at 123 gr it'll do exactly what I intend. It'll be a 75-500 meter killer...& at .21 - .30 cents a round, how can you beat that? Can't re-load for that price!

Das Vedania, Comrades!

(whatever that might mean!!!)

And you call yourself a quitter! No self respecting quitter would end up with a great trigger like that! :eatdrink: We'd be dis-satisfied and complain for months, and enjoy every minute of it.

Congrats, and good shoot'n I will definitely keep the x39 round in mind, it does sound like a good solution to many a problem.

Tar

Ok - here we are:

r

- bought an ALG fire control group from Brownells (100-009-796) which is the cheap one - $42.

- put it in this morning, went to range.

- ran 100%

- brought the trigger pull down from about 9+#'s to just over 6 (6.1 x Lyman trigger gauge)

- BUT that is not the best part...it is smooth. VERY. It doesn't feel like 6# - but then again the gritty 9.5 # was a nightmare.

Conclusion: having fought w/ the crappy Russian rounds for what now, a month?, I cannot recommend this "fix" highly enough. I've had, oh I don't know, maybe 6 or 8 different fire control & spring combos & none of them worked except that brutal stock AR 9.5 # trigger group. This works & makes shooting the x39 round a pleasure.

W/ the new gov't contract reaching out for all the .223 it can find for the next 3 years & the election coming in 4 months, the price of everything is going to skyrocket. The .30 cal Russian may be best "bang for the buck" - pun intended, sorry - you can find. I haven't really gone & played w/ it yet but will shortly. I have a feeling at 123 gr it'll do exactly what I intend. It'll be a 75-500 meter killer...& at .21 - .30 cents a round, how can you beat that? Can't re-load for that price!

Das Vedania, Comrades!

(whatever that might mean!!!)

Sounds good, glad you found something that worked for you.

And you call yourself a quitter! No self respecting quitter would end up with a great trigger like that! :eatdrink: We'd be dis-satisfied and complain for months, and enjoy every minute of it.

*** I actually like to hear myself whine but I like to solve problems more.

Congrats, and good shoot'n I will definitely keep the x39 round in mind, it does sound like a good solution to many a problem.

*** I don't know if it's the best solution, but it certainly is one...but I'm always trying to find a better one.

-jb

Tar

This whole quest is for the optimal "bug-out" gun (singular). I can make a case for all kinds & calibers, but I'm not satisfied yet.

So I'll keep looking.

Any & all suggestions welcome - but like your jr. high school math teacher use to say: "...prove it..."!

Think I'll post this thread as a new one.