Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Rochester AREA?

I'll shoot either IDPA or USPSA. Honestly I just like to pull the trigger and have a little fun. One of the biggest thing that worries me about relocation from TX to NY is the gun laws. I might have to leave a few things here in TX.

• 3 months later...

I'll shoot either IDPA or USPSA. Honestly I just like to pull the trigger and have a little fun. One of the biggest thing that worries me about relocation from TX to NY is the gun laws. I might have to leave a few things here in TX.

If you're used to shooting IDPA in Texas you're probably in for a surprise as IDPA isn't very strong in this state.

USPSA is alive and well and has been long established here.

Brooks hosts monthly matches and is around a half hour drive from GCL which is a short drive from the city center. There is also a strong USPSA club in the Buffalo area and part of the reason they are is quite a number of Canadian shooters attend their matches ea. month. You will also see about the same faces at all 3 Clubs since all are in Area 7 and they lay out the season's match schedule so there are as few Sat/Sun conflicts as possible.

Cortland is another strong area for USPSA and is about a 2 hour drive from Rochester. With the exception of Cortland, the other Clubs generally only run 4 Stage Matches with alternating shotgun or rifle side matches every other month. GCL is a fairly small Gun Club in size, in part as it's been in the same place since just after WW II and the area growing up around it from mostly farmland to heavy residential now. Their advantage is being able to shoot year 'round as they have an indoor range that is 25 yards deep and divided in half so they are able to run 4 Stages plus there is a $5.00 per run USPSA "Practice Match" indoors every Wed. at about 5 PM & 7 PM year 'round.

Brooks also holds Steel Challenge Matches about 4 X per season along with an annual 3-Gun. GCL has one 8-Stage annual match right around the 4th of July that's very well attended. Cortland can have several matches similar, but tend to favor Rifle with at least several 200+ yard Stages.

There are other USPSA Clubs with fairly easy access from the NYS Thruway {I-90} but have limited this to those a max of a couple of hours from Rochester. If you don't mind driving, the closer to PA one gets the more Clubs you'll find. IDPA is very strong and well organized in PA and host many sanctioned matches.

For an idea of where and how far the other USPSA Clubs are, going to Area 7's website at: http://www.uspsa7.org/ and review "Eastern Lakes Section".

IDPA is growing in the Upstate/Central NY area but it will require some driving to get to some of the matches.

The ones I frequest are in Waterloo NY...approximately 45-50 minutes from Rochester

and Pine City NY (in the vicinity of Elmira) roughly 2 hrs from Rochester.

IDPA can also be found at the Genesee Conservation League in Rochester and Cortland County Pistol Club in Cortland NY. Log-On to IDPA.COM and check the list of sanctioned clubs in the NY area for additional listings.

All of the above clubs have excellent facilities and are worth the drive to attend their matches.

USPSA is rather active, you can almost find a match to attend every weekend.

Rochester Brooks has a fantastic Steel Challenge Program and they host a big Steel Challenge and 3-Gun Match every year.

It you do actually make it up here...you can find a place to shoot w/o too much difficulty.

Hope that helps....

Chuck D.