Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety glasses for strong Rx?

Keith Rogers

It's time for me to get serious about safety glasses. I wear prescription glasses so am looking at those for indoor (clear) and outdoor (gray most likely) use. I assume that means two sets of glasses, though perhaps some combined use model would work.

Searching the archives, Rudy Project seems very popular here. However, their inserts cannot correct past -4 diopters. My prescription is -6.25 diopters with 0.5 cylinder astigmatism in each eye at different angles. Info on options from those who are similarly blind as the proverbial bat would be welcome.

-KR

I use safety glasses from my optomitrist. He uses Z-87 frames and polycarbonate lenses. I have clip on side shields. They look like aviator glasses but I'm sure your optomitrist can fix you up with almost any style frame. Just be sure it is an approved safety frame with polycarbonate lenses. I get mine tinted one shade of grey and use them both indoors and outdoors. Good luck,

Bill Nesbitt

As much as I love Rudy Projects, yours is a special case.

So, I would look at the prescription setups that Oakley has where they apply your prescription to their lens. Too, a friend who's pretty blind (sorry Blake) uses Bolle's and some kind of goofy prescription with his optometrist.

Hope that helps.

Rich

I also have Bolle's with Rx inserts, but I don't know up to what correction the inserts hold. An eye doc can tell you more, but IIRC, glass lenses (which are heavier of course) and high index plastic lenses are a bit thinner than the materials used in most light weight plastic lenses, and that might make the difference. In the Bolle's, the Rx lenses go behind and are separate from the shields that protect your eyes, so assuming whatever hits your polycarbonate shields doesn't get through, you are still protected from what hit the glasses (still some risk from the glass, perhaps).