Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rob's Shooting Log

Racer377

Can you open that magwell? The Dremel is your friend!!!!

I did it on the TRP. But it was a PITA, and I'm not enthused about taking a dremel to what is otherwise a really, really, really nice 1911. I'd rather have it done right, but with the season fast approaching and most smith's lead times being forever, I'm thinking I ought to just suck it up and get better at putting the mag where it belongs.

Well, practice is an answer.... I guess, lol. Probably the best answer too!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Within 6 months I bet your dremel touches that gun :)

Can you open that magwell? The Dremel is your friend!!!!

I did it on the TRP. But it was a PITA, and I'm not enthused about taking a dremel to what is otherwise a really, really, really nice 1911. I'd rather have it done right, but with the season fast approaching and most smith's lead times being forever, I'm thinking I ought to just suck it up and get better at putting the mag where it belongs.

Within 6 months I bet your dremel touches that gun :)

I almsot tried last night. I had the well piece off and dremel turned on in the other hand.....I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I talked to a 'smith, said he could do it properly on the mill in 7-10 days for a pretty reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the STI back today, and AllenM out in Avon, IN did a wonderful job blending the magwell. Fast turnaround, too. IMG_0004_029_zps8a8ad692.jpg

After about a week of no dry-fire due to not having the STI ready and being out in Colorado for a few days, I got back to work. It was a Steve Anderson R&R kinda practice session. Drills 1-9 to knock the rust off. About a billion Burkett reloads and variations of 6R6 formed the bulk of practice. That little bit of opening up on the well went a long way.

I'm hoping to get out Monday afternoon to finally put a few hundred rounds through this thing and make sure it runs. Work has me pretty slammed, so that's 50/50.

Got the new STI out to the range today. 300 rds ran through it fine. The hitch was half my cmc mags wouldn't lock the slide back, even when hand cycled. As it turns out, the slide stop nub was rubbing/binding on the mag lip. A few swipes of the file and I think the problem is solved. They all lock back when I quickly slingshot the slide. Saves me from having to spend a Crapton of money on new Tripp or Wilson etm mags.

The.actual shooting was so so. Shot groups and a few bill drills to knock the rust off and get used to the new gun. Without the EGW FPS and having a lighter mainspring, it cycles a bit different than the TRP. 2 out of 6 under 2 and clean from surrender.

Nothing but dryfire for the last month made me a little lazy on grip. First few runs really showed that.

Reloads are still a work in progress. Did some 2r2 on the 8" plate at 10yds. 1.3-1.4. Not great.

The wind was pretty nasty, so I didn't set up anything more involved.

After traveling for work the last 2 weeks, I'm getting back to the dryfire program. The file work on the slide stop not only allows the slide to lock back like its supposed to, but the mags seat MUCH easier without the mag lip hitting the stop lobe.

I tried the Stoeger/Vogel lower, closer-in reload last night - seems to be more consistent, but maybe a tick slower. The latter was expected, because it's new to me, but for that same reason the former was a bit of a surprise. I'm going to experiment more with this.

Match season is fast approaching. There's a special classier match in just a few weeks, followed by 2 majors a few weeks after that, so it's time to really step up the practice regimen. With a little luck, I'll be able to score some more bullets next week so I don't have to ration the live fire practice.

Good luck to you. Your hard work will pay off. Did you try SNS for bullets?

Donnie Miculek just cashed my check so I'm expecting some Bayou Bullets in soon.

I'd like to stick with FMJs. My understanding is that I'd need a new crimp die to use moly or lead, because the Lee FCD does something to lead bullets. (Redding has a new micrometer adjustable taper crimp die that I want anyway) but moly coated Bayous are the next choice. Someone told me today Donnie isn't taking orders right now, so it'll be BBI, or that failing, SNS. I'm hoping to avoid the lead though, rather not deal with the smoke if I don't have to.

Edited by Racer377

You should take the magwell off for a week and dryfire like that.

About 15 minutes of burkett reloads and 30 more of 2R2 without the magwell. This is the most awful, sucktastic, shitty, no-good drill ever.

JMB may have been a genius in many ways, but what the fcuk was he thinking with that magazine opening???

Edited by Racer377

I tried the Stoeger/Vogel lower, closer-in reload last night - seems to be more consistent, but maybe a tick slower. The latter was expected, because it's new to me, but for that same reason the former was a bit of a surprise. I'm going to experiment more with this.

Why are you so surprised? I have been preaching this for awhile.

Have fun without the magwell. :devil:

Why are you so surprised? I have been preaching this for awhile.

Have fun without the magwell. :devil:

Just surprised in that it was more consistent right off the bat, without having practiced it at all.

Todays match a SGSC was a bit of a shit show. 1 mike, entirely too many deltas. I don't do well win the cold, I guess. I think time and points were all worse than when I shot the same exact stages back in December. It got steadily better as the day progressed, so there's at least that.

It may have been a shit show, but good enough for an SS win, 5/34 overall.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=7387&division=Single%20Stack&guntype=Pistol

The STI ran fine with the CMC mags, but there was one failure to seat incident that cost me stage I should've won. I'm not sure if I went a little too light on the mag catch spring, or if it's the nearly flush base pads on the CMC powermag+ that lead to that. So I ordered a a few Tripp mags along with a new mag catch spring, as an experiment.

New Tripp mags showed up today. These things are NICE! They seem to seat easier, more consistently, and drop out easier at slide lock. I'm hoping to live fire test them this weekend. If they run, I'll be swapping all the CMCs out for them.

Good shooting with you. Congrats on the SS win. You had a rough start but as the match went on you got better and better. Thanks for staying out of Production so I could get a win!! Maybe I'll see you at Riley this month.

Oh, if you want to get rid of those CMC's I'd be glad to buy em....

Thanks! You shot quite well yourself. That A card won't be long in the making.

I'm planning on Riley, should be fun. Thinking pretty hard about Silver Creek this weekend too.

If I switch, you officially have first dibs on the CMCs. I've got about a dozen of them.

Fun match down in Silver Creek today. They had some really, really good stage designs that made my brain hurt trying to plan with 8rds. Huge turnout too.

I had some mag issues that killed my performance. As it turns out, the Ed Brown competition mag spring was a bit too light, and in conjunction with the extended button, allowed me to over press the button and trap the mag in the gun, preventing it from dropping free. I was able to replicate the issue at home. Took a look in the mag well with the button pressed as hard as I could, and sure enough there were a few thou worth of button side of the catch sticking into the mag well. A few passes with the file and that's fixed. The other possibility is that the top round is getting dragged forward by the slide and catching like the CZ occasionally did. Can't replicate that at home, but with any luck I'll be able to get out and get a live fire practice day in to test the catch change to ensure it's fixed.

The new spring setup seems to track better. Sprinco 16lb recoil and bumping the main up to 21 makes it shoot more like the TRP with a front loaded recoil impulse that I like. Not quite as stiff without the tiny-tiny bevel on the FPS on the Springer, but close. My shot calling was better than last week, but still not where it needs to be. Had a rough time with a mini popper and the plate today. I knew where just about all my paper hits were.

2 mikes. first shot of the day, rushed draw shot and dropped into hard cover. Was already moving by the time my conscious brain said "that was in the hard cover knucklehead!" 2nd one was on El prez. Lousy on the reload and mentally said f-it, and blasted the last 6 as fast as possible. Pretty sure it went over the right shoulder.

Coupla deltas. Even with the penalties, I think points shot will be 89-90ish %. Could be wrong, kinda ballparking that.