Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rob's Shooting Log

Racer377

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results up - 4th in SS, 25th overall. Not as good as I would have liked, but better than expected. 90.18% of the points even after the misses. The mag issues explain some of the times being sucky, but not all. Mag issue and not going 1-for-1 on steel cost me 2nd, I guesstimate. Still a long way from being able to challenge Corey E with the SS, though.

The only remotely good stage (HUGE thanks to RangeJunkie for running the camera for me!)

For some reason, the dry fire session tonight was pretty good. Hit quite a few surrender 6r6's at 3.5, maybe a charlie or 2, which is new ground. There was quite a bit more snap to the draw and reload. I was a little annoyed at the various things the day threw at me, maybe some of that pent-up aggression carried over.

Played with the low n close reload a little more. Didn't have quite as much success as previous sessions. It might have been too low and close at about 3-4" from the bottom of the sternum. Seems like I'm finding a happy medium between that and the way up there Tomasie style reload for the really good reps.

The weekend looks like it'll be chock-full of live fire. Steel on Saturday, probably Wabash Valley on Sunday. Hopefully the mag dropping issues are ironed out now.

Made a resolution to run more. I'm not doing myself or my shooting any favors carrying around 40 extra lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Productive Training day. 400rd live fire practice, 3.1 mile run. Love shooting, hate running. At least the 5k was about a minute faster than last time. Still dog-shit slow, but moving in the right direction.

Started with some bill drills on turtles from surrender. First 2-3 kinda sucked, but found my groove and rocked 3 sub-2s in a row. Watched the sight bounce straight up n' down on those.

Ran Front Sight on the turtles. Averaged 84.5%. Worst was a 77%, best was a 94%. Not too shabby. Had they been metrics like the COF calls for, that'd be a touch higher. Had a few just barely charlies that would've made it into Alpha-land with a bigger metric A zone. I'm really liking the little bit extra accuracy the turtles require, though.

The turn n' draw portion is the hold back. Averaged ~1.4 to first shot on the facing uprange string. 2.5-2.6 total string length. Losing 3/10s would be a huge improvement. it'll be something to focus on in dry fire.

Moving reloads were pretty good, very few flubs. Most in the low 1.3s. Standing reloads at 7yds were low 1.2s, so that's a good sign I think.

No mag hang ups, so I think that issue is solved. *knocks on wood*

Cleaned the gun and gave the sear the slightest bit of a fluff n buff. took it from 3.25# to just a hair under 3#.

Productive Training day. 400rd live fire practice, 3.1 mile run. Love shooting, hate running. At least the 5k was about a minute faster than last time. Still dog-shit slow, but moving in the right direction.

Started with some bill drills on turtles from surrender. First 2-3 kinda sucked, but found my groove and rocked 3 sub-2s in a row. Watched the sight bounce straight up n' down on those.

Ran Front Sight on the turtles. Averaged 84.5%. Worst was a 77%, best was a 94%. Not too shabby. Had they been metrics like the COF calls for, that'd be a touch higher. Had a few just barely charlies that would've made it into Alpha-land with a bigger metric A zone. I'm really liking the little bit extra accuracy the turtles require, though.

The turn n' draw portion is the hold back. Averaged ~1.4 to first shot on the facing uprange string. 2.5-2.6 total string length. Losing 3/10s would be a huge improvement. it'll be something to focus on in dry fire.

Moving reloads were pretty good, very few flubs. Most in the low 1.3s. Standing reloads at 7yds were low 1.2s, so that's a good sign I think.

No mag hang ups, so I think that issue is solved. *knocks on wood*

Cleaned the gun and gave the sear the slightest bit of a fluff n buff. took it from 3.25# to just a hair under 3#.

You are an adult and own multiple guns. What the hell are you doing running? :surprise: