Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer Lower for 3 gun?

AznDragon533

Recently built one with a polymer lower. Worked fine for 500 rds. Now flexing and inaccurate. Ok for a plinking gun, but not one to compete with.

What brand did you build? Any pictures??

Thanks,

TAR

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Plumcrazy. Was loaned to me until my dpms lower came in. Gonna end up buying it now. Will just build me a 16" ranch rifle out of it.

???Ok, I think I'm missing something, are you buying it because you like it, or because it got messed up???

I have 2 New Frontier Armory lowers. I made a shorty 3G carbine with the one with an A2 stock. The other is waiting for my 300 BLK upper.

The plastic takedown pins broke. I replaced them with metal pins, no problem. The triggers are heavy at ~5 lbs, and much, much cleaner than any stock trigger I've ever felt. The lock up to the upper is VERY tight. I have about 1,000 rds on my 3G NFA lower, and it is working great.

They cost about $100 for a ready-to-go lower, fully assembled. If you try one, I recommend switching the takedown pins, and maybe switching to lighter hammer springs. They will take any aftermarket trigger, but I see no need at this time.

I'm reserving judgement until more time & rounds have passed, but I am happy so far.

Smitty uses A Cav arms lower for 3gun, has for a long time. He prefers it. I will forward him a link to this thread and he may respond. Or not, he may not want to give up any competitive secrets!

:cheers:

I've only been shooting 3G for two years but in that time I've witnessed 3 kabooms that destroyed the lowers. I have seen the pressure tests on some of the polymer lowers that demonstrate their abilities to withstand crush pressure but have not seen any showing outward pressure resistance. After watching the kabooms and no one seriously hurt one can only hope that they're at least that strong all the time and not just enough for a plinker...

I have three Cav Arms lowers, and they have worked well. When i tried a few rounds of .450 BM on one, the magazine popped out every round fired.

As for Case head separations and others "large bang" issues realted to the polymer lowers...If I knew a gun was going to blow, I would choose polymer everytime. The plastic deformation uses up quite a bit of the energy and from a material perspective, they would be safer than an aluminum lower. There is a tiny window where aluminum may not rupture and the polymer would, but it is a very tiny window.

Good information Mark

The distributor for Frontier Armory is only an hour from me and I've been thinking of picking a couple stripped lowers just to have on hand for future builds/spares. The prices are so low that it would be hard to go wrong unless the potential for safety issues is very high.

I really don't understand why Glock or Magpul hasn't come out with a polymer lower with all their expertise...

Kinda makes you wonder if they've looked at the numbers (both money and physics) and said it's not worth the R&D money.

ETA, I forgot about the bushmaster ACR.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

I agree with the guys on the plum crazy, i have had 2 plum crazy lowers and have seen one of mine crack while target shooting, it was cold out but still should of held up. i have a cav arms lower that i have shot thousands of round through and have never had an issue with it. for 3 gun though i would stick with a standard lower unless u get a cav arms polymer.