Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Primers don't get ejected in station 1

Hi there ! It's been a while...

Here is my problem:

Using dillon resizing die on my XL650, with 38Super brass, the primer very often doesn't get ejected.

It seems like the decaping pin doesn't push it out enough, or gets stuck in the primer and brings it back a little in the brass.

The result is a brass that arrives in station 2 with an used primer attached to it, ready to be fully inserted by the waiting new primer. I'll get a reloaded round with a used primer !

You'll just see a new primer in the "primer ski jump", and don't know where it comes from.

This didn't happen when I was using a Lee die. I also changed the decaping pin.

Please, help !!! :wacko:

Hi Jerome,

does your sizing die have a safety feature like the Lee ones? I mean, is it possible that the decapping pin has been pushed slightly upwards, so it's kinda short-stroking while unpriming the brass?

Otherwise, you might want to give a look at this thread.

If this latter doesn't work too, just tell me where and when are you going to trash your press... :P

R.R. is correct. Break the edge on the end of the decap pin. With high pressure rounds like 38 Super Major, 40 S&W, It sometimes requires significantly greater force to push out the primers. The deformed anvil inside the primer can get stuck on the end of the decap pin, then gets pulled back up into the case.