Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Syrac gas block fit under JP hand guard?

MickB

Is the Syrac clamp on adjustable gas block supposed to fit under a JP hand guard?

I received the clamp on style, and while the bottom clears fine, it looks like there is barely any clearance at the top of the gas block and the JP hand guard.

Has anybody used the Syrac gas block/JP hand guard combo?

If so, did you do anything to make it fit such as remove a small amount of metal from the top of the gas block?

Mick

I have the clamp-on version of the great Syrac Adjustable Gas block and it fits under my Seekins Precision MCSR rail. Just look for a rail with an internal diameter of around 1.75" and you'll be good. There's a small but sufficient amount of space between the top of the gas block and my Seekins rail. The gas block and its detent that needs to be depressed before you can move the set screw is a great design.

I may have to go the same route. I can't slip a sheet of paper between the top of the gas block and the top of the tube...

Mick

It was super tight under my older jp tube. Used the dremel on the forearm. It works fine.

Edited by MickB

Update with a couple of observations...

After doing a little research, and comparing product pictures, I noted that the gas block I received has no markings or lot number whatsoever. It is completely blank.

The screw heads on the gas block I received enter from the left side, versus pictures I have seen on other web sites (including JP's) where the screws enter from the opposite side.

While the gas block from Midway came in packaging from Syrac, I am wondering if I have perhaps received an early model gas block?

Anybody else's Syrac gas block look like mine where the screws enter from the left?

Mick

Edited by MickB

I used a set screw one under 15" Troy V-Tac handguards. It was tight on the bottom, mostly because the set screws stuck out too far. I replaced them with some shorter ones from Home Depot and the clearance is much better.

Sorry, I just noticed your using the clamp on version.

Edited by prreed10

• 3 weeks later...

That's what mine looks like also, but I got it from Midway as well.

I ended up keeping my JP low profile block on after not being able to find a handguard that fit with enough clearance for me so I'm probably going to let it sit until I build my backup gun.

CM

Edited by Clint-M

JP fixed everything on my upper at no charge and it is currently being shipped back to me.

JP have been having issues with clearance themselves and are lowering the height of the gas block - modifying existing ones and making lower ones in new production runs.

I'll update on what the work looks like and the amount of clearance.

Clint, I suggest you talk with JP if your upper is from them, or give Jason Adams a call and see if you can't get a lower profile unit substituted...

Mick

Edited by MickB

I have the Syrac gas block with a Seekins Precision MCSR rail and there's enough clearance between the top of the gas block and the rail. Luckily, the top of the gas block goes slightly into the top slit that supports the top picatinny rail. I can easily put a piece of masking tape between the gas block and rail. Gas block works great.

From my discussions with JP, that is not enough clearance. We'll see how much mine has when it comes back on Monday...

Mick

I have the Syrac gas block with a Seekins Precision MCSR rail and there's enough clearance between the top of the gas block and the rail. Luckily, the top of the gas block goes slightly into the top slit that supports the top picatinny rail. I can easily put a piece of masking tape between the gas block and rail. Gas block works great.