Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Update on my LNL problems

Some of you might have read about my issues on my other posts so here is an update

Fixed the brass shower issue with the cardboard trick that is described in several posts here. It was so easy that I wonder why Hornady is not fixing it from the factory.

Still an issue with cases not dropping down and then binding the wheel on the other side. Someone has a solution for that????

I sorted out several brands of brass and tried them. Bottom line is that nearly all the problems come from S&B Nontox (the ones with the green colour. Found out by luck if you can call it luck that i broke 2 zip spindels.

It seems that the green ones have the thightest primer hole and that the decaping pin does not fit in without extensive force. Thats how I broke the spindels. They also have the smallest primer pocket and are the ones that are hardest to prime.

Having said that the other S&B are still not good to reload but I can live with it.

Sorting out the green ones solved most of the issues. It is still slower going as every once in a while i come across a nontox that has been reloaeded already and therefore not green anymore which means I have to sort them out on the press but it is like night and day now.

Next step will be to set up the bullet feeder something that drags on for more than a year and is still nor working right.

Still an issue with cases not dropping down and then binding the wheel on the other side. Someone has a solution for that????

Fritz, Glad you are working out your LNL issues. I have the same "binding on the wheel" problem. One poster suggested that the problem is the case hopper is mis-aligned on the motor. On my hopper the hole the brass falls through to go down the clear tube is installed with more hole to the right than the left of the drop tube. The poster suggested un-screwing the hopper and correctly aligning the hole more to the left. You would then use the metal adjustment sliding plate installed on the hopper to correctly set the "drop time" or drop position of the hole. This is on my list to do .... but the wife, the car repairs, work, and so on have kept this on the "I'll do later list".

As you see in the picture, I need a piece of cardboard (on the right of the hole) to keep the cases from falling early and flipping upside down. If I move the hole to the left I will be able to use the metal adjustment plate. Now it just sits all the way to the left.

post-21909-0-14188700-1338596831_thumb.j

Fritz, Glad you are working out your LNL issues. I have the same "binding on the wheel" problem. One poster suggested that the problem is the case hopper is mis-aligned on the motor. On my hopper the hole the brass falls through to go down the clear tube is installed with more hole to the right than the left of the drop tube. The poster suggested un-screwing the hopper and correctly aligning the hole more to the left. You would then use the metal adjustment sliding plate installed on the hopper to correctly set the "drop time" or drop position of the hole. This is on my list to do .... but the wife, the car repairs, work, and so on have kept this on the "I'll do later list".

As you see in the picture, I need a piece of cardboard (on the right of the hole) to keep the cases from falling early and flipping upside down. If I move the hole to the left I will be able to use the metal adjustment plate. Now it just sits all the way to the left.

not sure if i understand right but my issue is that the case is not falling down. so parts of the case is below the hole when the wheel turns. the part below the hole is hitting the hopper on the fare side and so binding the wheel.

So how will reducing the possible time for the case falling down solve this? or do u mean as everything is further right the case starts sliding down the hole too early and so getting an awkward angle and in doing so kind of jamming in the hole?

I had the same problem with S&B non-toxic cases. Broke a decapping pin and had more than a few issues with hard to seat primers. I've started filtering them out completely. I went through some of the same issues you did with brass showers but that's solved.

What issues have you had with the bullet feeder? I'm curious because I've been considering the collator, I've been using the bullet feeder die in 9mm with plastic tubes to hold the bullets for a while now and it's worked fine.

I had the same problem with mine, so i put a small plastic wiper inside of the bowl near the drop tube. It would knock off cases that were between the bowl and the case that had dropped into the case shell plate. This solved the hang up on the left side of the case feeder drop window. If you send me your email i'll send you a pic. I cant post pics yet.

Chris

I had the same problem with mine, so i put a small plastic wiper inside of the bowl near the drop tube. It would knock off cases that were between the bowl and the case that had dropped into the case shell plate. This solved the hang up on the left side of the case feeder drop window. If you send me your email i'll send you a pic. I cant post pics yet.

Chris

Please post it when you are allowed to post pics.

I had the same problem with S&B non-toxic cases. Broke a decapping pin and had more than a few issues with hard to seat primers. I've started filtering them out completely. I went through some of the same issues you did with brass showers but that's solved.

What issues have you had with the bullet feeder? I'm curious because I've been considering the collator, I've been using the bullet feeder die in 9mm with plastic tubes to hold the bullets for a while now and it's worked fine.

just cannot seat the bullet properly. Tried everything from ptx in any thinkable configuration to just normal expander die in any thinkable configuration.I flared it from nothing to a mushroom and anything in between. Nothing worked. If I expand it too much its very hard to get the case out of the powder die and sooner or later the small ring thats inside the die that prevents the ptx insert from falling out breaks. The only way to seat the bullet so that it does not fall out again is to put lots of pressure on the seating die but that destroys the collets rahter sooner than later. The only thing I could think off was that i am using 356 and the bullet die is 355 but I did hear from several different guys that this does not matter.

I am out of wits with this as I am trying for more than a year now.

I'm sorry it took you guys all this hassle to find out S&B is junk! Exactly why I sort my brass by headstamp. I just don't have time to fiddle with garbage.