Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio LTD Airsoft as stand in for CZ SP-01?

Leozinho

It seems more appropriate to post this here rather than the airsoft forum.

An incoming CZ SP-01 Shadow has me fired up about training and improving, so I started to think about training with an airsoft gun again. (I also watched an episode of 3 Gun Nation and saw Keith Garcia shooting airsoft in his garage. If it's good enough for him, then I should be doing it too.)

I have a airsoft Caspian widebody that shoots great, but I've never been sold on using it since it so different from the Beretta, Sig and most recently M&P that I've shot. It feels and points much different that anything I own, so I've shot it very little.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a good airsoft version of the CZ 75. A Kadet may be in my future, but at this time access to a range is as much a hindrance to my training as ammo cost is. I do dryfire, but I've also found that sometimes I get sloppy with my sight picture without realizing it. My hope is the airsoft training would correct this.

I'm wondering if the airsoft Tanfoglio LTD Custom would be a close enough match to the SP01 to make training worthwhile? I know it's SAO and it won't weigh nearly as much and I almost certainly can't use the same holster, but I'm thinking more about the dimensions and pointability, as well as the ability to create similar sights (I'm not above taking a file to front sight of an airsoft gun. And I'm going to experiment with taking the FO rod out of my Shadow and replacing it with black insert anyway. So there's no issue with one being a blade and the other a FO.)

I guess this question is as much for the folks that have shot a Tanfoglio LTD and a SP01. How different are they in terms of feel and how they point?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

31sxKsSVPBL._SL500_AA300_.jpgCZ_75_SP-01_SHADOW.png

Just FYI: here's Keith Garcia talking about airsoft and .22 training. It's nothing new, but seeing a top competitor talk about it made me want to revisit it.

Edited by Leozinho

hm, good question. subscribed to this thread. :cheers:

I have found a CZ 75D airsoft and the KWA CZ75B before, not sure how close they would be for you though.

Watching this for replies as well.

:)

I had seen the 75D. It doesn't appear to be a 'high end' airsoft gun, plus it's compact, so I dismissed it.

I somehow missed the KZ75. Just watched a few positive reviews of it.

Pros:

It might fit my holster

It's a closer match to a SP-01 Shadow than the Tanfo

Cons:

More expensive than the Tanfo ($165 vs $130)

Sights aren't very good. Not adjustable, and can't tell if they can be drifted.

It's SAO, as well

Edited by Leozinho

hm, good question. subscribed to this thread. :cheers:

I have found a CZ 75D airsoft and the KWA CZ75B before, not sure how close they would be for you though.

Watching this for replies as well.

:)

I had seen the 75D. It doesn't appear to be a 'high end' airsoft gun, plus it's compact, so I dismissed it.

I somehow missed the KZ75. Just watched a few positive reviews of it.

Pros:

It might fit my holster

It's a closer match to a SP-01 Shadow than the Tanfo

Cons:

More expensive than the Tanfo ($165 vs $130)

Sights aren't very good. Not adjustable, and can't tell if they can be drifted.

It's SAO, as well

I have the KWA KZ75. It is a very good stand in for the SP01 as far as weight and ergonomics go. That's where my postive review ends. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy something different, even if it didn't resemble the SP01. My friend bought one of the Tanfo airsofts, loves it.

The problems I've had with the KZ75:

• Jams a lot, I've oiled, cleaned, still happens, way too much
  • Magazines broke - both of them - same exact issue. After you shoot a mag or two worth of BB's, quickly, like we all do in dry fire practice, the mags get VERY cold from the gas. If you happen to BUMP (not drop, not slam, not anything harder than a slight bump) the mag base pad, the ears that hold on the base pad will shear right off. Happened to both mags I have. KWA replaced the first time, I haven't done anything about the second one yet because I've been really busy. Plus, the first one took about 4 weeks turn around time to get the replacement. I assure you, I have never dropped the magazine on the ground. The mag slid out of the gun from about 3" high off the work bench and broke. ( that's 3" not 3')
  • Green Gas blows! Very hard to get, no one sells it in stores around me, have to get online. Don't think there is an advantage over the guns with CO2 like the Tanfo. They both have very similar recoil, but the CO2 is easier, and cheaper.
  • Not really a problem just an issue. The sights are not removable. You are stuck with the stock sights. The Tanfo allows you to replace with the same Dawson or whatever sights you have on your competition gun. The KWA has crappy not adjustable, not changeable sights.
  • Unless you like pain, you will have to dremel the hammer on the KWA. The hammer spur is so long, it will hit the webbbing of your hand under the beavertail everytime you fire the gun. Once you do it, there are no problems, but out of the box, you have to void your warranty and grind the crap out of the hammer....unless like I said....You like pain!

YMMV, these are just my own experiences.

• Green Gas blows! Very hard to get, no one sells it in stores around me, have to get online. Don't think there is an advantage over the guns with CO2 like the Tanfo. They both have very similar recoil, but the CO2 is easier, and cheaper.

A little bit off topic, but in regards to green gas. Green gas is propane with silicon oil in it, they even sell an adaptor so you can buy in bulk for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/store/ai-gungas-propane-adaptor-kit

I've never used to kit since all my airsoft is long gone, so take it for what it's worth.

A little bit off topic, but in regards to green gas. Green gas is propane with silicon oil in it, they even sell an adaptor so you can buy in bulk for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/store/ai-gungas-propane-adaptor-kit

I've never used to kit since all my airsoft is long gone, so take it for what it's worth.

Nope, not off topic at all. I'm glad you brought that up. Yep, i bought the propane adaptor and tried it once.....just once. Dry firing in the garage with propane is nasty stuff. If you were outside, it probably wouldn't be too bad, but in an enclosed area, it is awful smell.

Green gas is propane with the silicon oil mixed in, AND, the ethyl mercaptan removed. Green gas doesn't stink at all, and even has a pleasant order. Propane...well, I'm sure you know how bad that smells.

Edited by CZinSC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...