Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoothing out the LNL indexing?

I've tweaked and modified my LNL over the years to my liking, it works well. One issue I haven't found a fix to is the snap when the shell plate indexes. When loading 9mm it will usually spill a few flakes of powder out as the shell plate move to the next station. I'm certain it has to do with the shell plate settling into the detents. Seems I saw something about needle bearings or a new washer several months back, but the instructions were not very clear.

Has anyone addressed this problem sucessfully?

No way to needle bearing the thing like on a dillon. The drive/hub extends from below the ram up to the top of the plate. So the entire unit moves in unison. I tried to seat the detent balls a little lower using a punch. It seemed to help but it may have contributed to indexing issues as well. Not really sure, just be aware if you try that idea.

I've noticed this too with 9mm as well. I've found two manual techniques that work to limit spillage depending on which accessories you have installed on your press.

the first thing you can do is to place the bullet on the charged case at the first opportunity to"cap" out from spilling. If you use a powder check die, that means capping it on the downstroke a soon as it emerges from the die. You will still get some slinging when the charged shell moves from the powder measure to the check die but that's the limit. If you don't use a powder check, then do it as it descends from the powder measure. That worked great for me for a long time until I added a bullet feeder and so now I can't manually cap them anymore.

recently I added a bullet feeder and so the current technique I use it to drag my finger on the shell plate to dampen the movement from detent to detent. Since I no longer have to use my left hand too place shells or bullets, its free to use as a brake of sorts and this all but eliminates spillage altogether for problem shells like the 9.

Lately i've been working on an idea related to the "brake" solution with a delrin washer below the shell plate to dampen the movement automatically. The problem is finding the right thickness so its effective enough and not locking up the plate or doing nothing at all.

You can also layer a thick, viscous, thixotropic grease below the shell plate but that gets messy.

I put some heavy grease on the detent balls and everywhere the detent balls ride. I don't know what kind of grease it is but it is heavy. Sometimes it is a little too much so I spray or dab (with a q-tip) some solvent or oil on it to kind of "lighten it up" to get it to where I want it. Seems to work fine for me.

I too use grease every time I change shell plates or if I am loading over a thousand rounds in one caliber. I take the shell plate off to clean under the plate (compressed air then wipe down)then apply grease. Maybe over kill but it helps to keep crap out tf the primer seater.

Edited by Mush from PA.

I load 10gr of AA#7 into a 9 mm case, what is this slinging you elude to? Just tighten the shell plate till it drags just slightly, end of problem, no parts to buy, don't call the exorcist!

I use it with a bullet feeder as well.

I had a bit of the powder spillage problem with 9mm on my lnl early on but mostly that was me trying to load too fast. I've been using action lube from Brownells to grease the detent balls on the shell plate. I clean and relube every 600 rounds or if I've spilled a bunch of powder. It's worked well and it doesn't take a lot of grease to make it run smoothly.