Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 degree forcing cone?

flycaster

Hey there. I've read many times that a forcing cone angle of 11 degrees is optimal for revolver accuracy. Fine. But since all current wheelguns have forcing cones straight from the factory anyway, why don't all of them have 11 degree cones as standard? Why would Brownell's even have to sell a forcing cone reamer kit with an 11 degree reamer? Just curious.

Chuck

The factory forcing cones are often too small, off center, or have tool marks in them and need to be recut to bring them into proper specs. Also, sometimes a barrel needs to be set back a turn due to too much cylinder gap. Then the forcing cone needs to be recut. Some people make custom barrels which have no forcing cone to begin with.

Edit to add - ones that have 18 degrees or something else are usually "Because we've always done it that way".

Edited by Toolguy

If I recall correctly (been a while since I've done revolver work...), standard forcing cones are sharper angled so that the mouth of the cone is wider, enabling the cone to catch bullets that may be coming from a cylinder that is slightly off-kilter.

Hopefully, our match guns are better-timed and have better lockup, so "off-kilter bullets" aren't a problem and we can use a kinder, gentler angle and deform the bullets less.

Choice of bullets, lead or jacketed, might also effect what forcing cone angle you use. I read some Rugers use 5 degree cones. I have a 629 that was very accurate with jacketed but with lead nothing to brag about. I used the Brownell's kit and also polished the barrel with Simichrome. Doing both made a big difference.