Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Stainless Elite vs P226 standard alloy

Joe L

I have two alloy P226's in 9mm, one for ESP and one for SSP. I also have an X-5 for ESP. The X-5 is very accurate but I feel it is a little clumsy (for me) for a game gun like IDPA. I like the size of the standard P226 and the weight of the X-5 (trimmed to 43 oz.). The ideal SIG gun for me should be a P226 Stainless Elite--42.3 oz, 4.4" barrel and slide, standard SIG sight cuts.

Who here has shot both the all stainless P226 and the alloy P226 extensively and what was your experience and conclusion?

I may try my 4.4" slide on my X-5 frame and try that a while to see what a Stainless Elite would feel like.

Joe

had an all stainless .40 226ST, and though it shot pretty soft I thought it felt a little sluggish on the draw and on transitions. Felt heavier/as heavy than my Limited gun at the time, a lightened Edge. I decided to buy an alloy 9mm 226R for Production. If I had the extra cash I wouldve gotten a beavertail gun like the USPSA model or an Elite. with our mousefart minor loads I think the extra weight is not really necessary. prefer lighter Limited and Open guns though.

my vote goes for an alloy gun.

Blaster--thanks for the response. I've spent so much time with a 41 oz CZ lately that I decided to put it down and just shoot my X-5 and alloy P226 today. I didn't shoot either one well at all at first--due to lack of trigger time. I can normally shoot both guns well out to 25 yards, but only if I have been shooting them 1 or 2 days/wk. The X-5 is 43 oz, just a little heavier than the CZ. The P226 is a standard gun with a Bar-Sto barrel and adjustable sights and light springs, all set up for ESP. I have always loved shooting the alloy P226 but I can actually do multiple plate drills a little quicker with the X-5, thus the question.

Frankly, I am so used to shooting the 4.4" P226 that the extra barrel length and sight radius of the X-5 is wasted on me, but I do like the weight.

It was good for me to shoot both guns side by side today, same ammo, same targets. I am going to go ahead and get the stainless elite while I can and then I will sell whichever one I decide not to use. Besides, I want a gun as pretty as the X-5, with the handling of the ugly black P226 alloy gun.

It is really hard to put the CZ down, however. I've put over 8000 rounds through that gun in 3 months. Mostly 22 however, but, boy, is it a sweet shooting gun. Sometimes I even think I should hold off for a CZ75 Shadow T SAO for ESP instead of another SIG, but I just can't give up the P226. I like it too much and I have too much time and ammo invested in mastering the DA/SA and the high bore axis.

Joe

Went back out today with the X-5 and 2 alloy P226s, this time I didn't shoot the CZ 22 at all. Today, I could shoot all three guns just fine. Too much time with the CZ resulted in poor results with the SIGs until I relearned the SIG trigger's creep.

The X-5 is super nice to shoot, but still is not reliable, with one failure to eject in 50 rounds, but this is with the stock extractor, not the Gray Guns version. My favorite Bar-Sto barrel alloy P226 ran 100% and I could shoot 2" groups at 15 yards, just like pre-CZ days. Almost as well with the standard P226 two-tone 9mm with the stock barrel. The X-5's 3.5 lb trigger is a little nicer than the 4 lb alloy P226's trigger, but I could shoot slow groups fine with all three guns. Faster groups favored the X-5 with more weight. So, for now, what I need is the all stainless Elite with a standard P226 external extractor.

I placed the order today, will be here on Friday. Will have different springs and worked over ignition parts before I shoot it on Sunday morning--probably will just swap out the parts from my backup gun in to the Elite frame. This will be fun.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Joe,

Sig has a new extractor for the X-Five. I have it in mine and it has been flawless.

Jay

Jay, thanks, I will check on it. When I posted photos of mine last year, I was told mine was the new one, but I'll check again to make sure. I have put a 1000 rounds through the gun since getting it back and it has failed to extract about 10-20 times during that period, with the original extractor.

I pick up the SSE today, then migrate a bunch of parts over from one of my standard alloy P226's for testing.

Blaster113--I'm not turning loose of either alloy frame just yet!

Joe

Edited by Joe L

"Sig has a new extractor for the X-Five. I have it in mine and it has been flawless."

Can you please post a pic of this new extractor?

Thanks

MJohn, I ordered one from Top Gun Supply this morning. I will post photos when I get the replacement. The one that came in my 2010 X-5 looks different than the ones in the P220's.

Joe

P226 Stainless Steel Elite arrived on Thursday, I put the thick trigger and worked over sear and hammer in it and shot 150 rounds Thursday night. Excellent.

Saturday morning another 175 rounds, so I've put over 300 rounds through my new SSE, and I really like it so far. So far, I've put a fiber optic sight on it, bent the decocker and slide release levers out more like the X-5 AllRound, put the mag well grips on it from the X-5, and the extended mag release. Now all I need is the LPA low profile adjustable sight and some range time, and I'll be set, may use the gun in a local club match next weekend, with the alloy P226 as a backup. If I had bought this gun first, I may never have gotten an X-5. Just kidding, everyone should have an X-5.

I also fixed the firing pin safety block problem I had with the X-5 today. Will shoot it again on Sunday, passed all the bench tests including pencil launching with hammer strike.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Another excellent 150 rounds through the Stainless Steel Elite this morning, ran perfectly as expected, need to put a 0.160" tall front DP FO sight on the front and it will be perfect.

50 rounds through the X-5 today with the firing pin safety block installed, had one light hit, so I will have to work that a little more. Stock extractor failed to extract one casing, as usual.

Here are some photos of the SSE with my X-5...

I have already put the SSE wood grips on the X-5 and put the mag well grips on the SSE. The X-5 has had a couple of ounces trimmed from the frame along the dust cover, trigger guard, and beavertail to get the weight down to 43 oz. The X-5 is beautiful. The SSE is functional.

i-K8n9ks3-L.jpg

i-JcJTMvt-L.jpg

i-pnfGxpr-L.jpg

i-kp5HG8P-L.jpg

Joe

I've got the correct width front sight for the X-5 (0.140" wide by 0.170" tall Dawson Precision) installed and the LPA overhung low profile adjustable rear with 0.110" wide by 0.170" tall front Dawson Precision sight installed on the SSE and I shot them both Thursday evening. Sights on both are perfect now, and I can shoot them both fairly well. The X-5 is excellent with the Gray Guns trigger job. Will add yet a little more tension on the latest SIG extractor, as I am still having one failure to eject per 50 rounds. The SSE is absolutely 100% reliable, same as my other two P226s. I will work on the SSE trigger this evening and try to smooth it out a little more. The more I shoot the X-5, the more I like it. But the SSE is certainly going to work fine for a game gun. Both guns are excellent, in my opinion, but I was pretty happy with a plain Jane alloy P226 with a Bar-Sto barrel.

Joe

Joe L,

Did you receive your new extractor from TGS?

Could you please post pics of the three extractors and state which one is which? I need an extractor as my current X-5 is experiencing FTE. I would like to see the pics so that I will not order the same extractor as I currently have. Also, I would like to see the 220 extractor. Is it the same as any of the X-5 extractor's?

Thanks.

"Sig has a new extractor for the X-Five. I have it in mine and it has been flawless."

Can you please post a pic of this new extractor?

Thanks

I am not good with pictures. It has some s shaped bends in it. Over on The Sig Forum they said Sig won't sell just the extractor to you. You have to ship them the gun.

Jay

I have seen pictures of Sigs "new" X5 extractor, probably on Sig Forum. I refit both of my faulty extractors

myself as I grew very tired of waiting for the after market replacement that never became reality.

The original extractor was bent upwards using opposing smooth faced pliers. A vice and pliers could also work. Lots of lateral tension is also desireable. When reinstalling, be sure that about half of the extractor body is secure

under the retaining ledge machined into the slide. This has been a complete success so far on both of my X5 guns.

There is no verticle movement now and I have used the gun in matches , before I could not get through a box of ammo

without leaving empties in the chamber.

Edited by Trader

TRader, I'm at the same point. I've been experimenting with the latest SIG extractor, first too low a tension, yesterday too much, tomorrow maybe just right. I am also going to try the vertical bend to raise the hook a little and eliminate any chance of movement in the groove. At least there is hope if you have had good success. I'll take some photos of the three extractors I have, two SIG and one Gray Guns.

Joe

Here are the extractors.

i-qgN3p2X-L.jpg

i-3n4DhVV-L.jpg

i-72Wz6br-L.jpg

i-nFfzJxd-L.jpg

i-Rw3HQJg-L.jpg

I'm experimenting with the bottom extractor, the latest one from TGS, when it arrived, tension was too low. First adjustment was too much tension, second adjustment is working fine, but not many rounds yet. When I get a feel for the proper tension, I will go back to the wider GGI piece and reduce the tension on it a little. It had too much tension as delivered, at least for my ammo.

Joe

I have had two more sessions with the X-5, one fail to eject with the bottom SIG extractor pictured above. I will increase the tension a little and see if I can bend it upwards a little also. Getting better. Not good enough. Gun sure shoots well, however.

Joe

I found upward tension to be very important . The key is to get the hook up high in the breech face

and eliminate verticle movement.

Trader--I just got back from the shop. I removed the extractor and bent it upwards just enough to require a little nudge on the bow to get it hooked back under the retaining lip. So the top of the extractor is in contact with the slide now at the end of the slot. I won't adjust the tension again until I try this. Bending the extractor took out all the vertical movement and raised the hook a bunch, like 50-60 thousandths. Thanks for sharing what you did.

I am encouraged. I made it nearly a 100 rounds with only one fail to extract before bending vertically.

Joe

Joe

A followup and possibly a conclusion to my original post...My new P226 Stainless Elite shoots just fine!!

I've worked over the springs, sear, hammer, and trigger bar, got the single action trigger pull down to 3lb-9oz.

This is the best group I've ever shot from 25 yards, this one is 1-1/8" center to center, 25 yards, standing. Best previous was a 1-1/4" group from the alloy P226 with a Bar-Sto conversion barrel. I made the right decision for me in getting the all stainless P226. Of course these are slow groups, not game routes.

i-Jk2XCWX-L.jpg

Joe

That is strange I ran over 5k rounds through my x5L1 40 last year with not a single malfunction. Not sure when yours was made mine was purchased about a year ago now, not sure about its born on date though, maybe newer ones had some previous issues fixed. only malfunction I had was the factory mags seemed to get hung up in the magwell somewhere during fast reloads but switched to mecgar 15rds and havent had a problem since. I love sig but I am disappointed about the lack of 140mm mags for the 226X5s. seems sig thought only of ISPC and not USPSA rules when they made it.