Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST and 135gr Bayou Bullets -- need load data

Leozinho

I bought some WST I think because I remember reading it was bulky (thus more obvious when double charged) and decent with lead bullets.

Now I've got some Bayou 135gr bullets but can't find any load data for WST. Starting to wonder if WST wasn't meant for 9mm.

Anyone shooting WST with a lead/moly 135 bullet?

THanks.

I don't recommend WST in 9 mm with Jacketed bullets, however it works very well with Bayou Bullets, I shot 135gr Bayou's in my Shadow with 4.2gr of WST loaded 1.145. Bayou's won't gunk up your gun like black or lead bullets.

To reliably make 130pf with WST and a jacketed bullet 124gr CMJ MTG took 4.7gr of WST in 100+ temp, this is a pretty high pressure load, for comparision the load was 4.2gr of TiteGroup for the same pf.

Ooops. I must not have searched very hard. Found this info from Cocobolo right after I started a new topic. Everyone else is welcome to add their load as well.

Edited by Leozinho

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to make 128pf with only 3.6 grains at 1.15 OAL out of an m&p pro. I ran 3.8 grains to be safe. Was about 75* at the time. I'm running velocity bullets and solo1K now, just because of availability and I have lots of S1k left.

I shot a buch of the 135gr Bayou's loaded with 4.0gr of WST with an OAL of 1.145. Sorry I did not Crono them but they knocked down poppers well in the "No PF" matches I shot them in. With that OAL you can go to 4.0gr and it won't blow up.

I should add the 4.2 gr were loaded for my open gun for minor, I did crono them but did not write the results in the book, if memory serves it was @138 pf. I loaded 500 shot some in the Open gun some in the Shadow and Sig226.

Edited by CocoBolo

-Do any bullet manufacturers publish load data for WST in 9mm?

-So the concern with FMJ rounds with WST will surpass safe pressures?

-And this doesn't happen with lead (presumably because it is more maleable)?

Shooting lead actually causes hire pressures than FMJ with the same powder charge.

Then why the warning against using WST For jacketed rounds in 9mm?

Has anyone actually results of pressure testing with WST?

I am starting to think it's all hearsay, because I haven't seen any load data for 9mm WST that came from a reloading manual or a manufacturer.

I don't mind doing a little "wildcat" loading, just trying to get to the bottom this combo.

4.0g WST with a Bear Creek 135g RN at 1.150 OAl, gets me 1000 fps out of my STI Spartan 9mm.

Last year a WA State IDPA Championship my 3 random rounds chronoed at 1019, 1020, 1020

Very accurate load considering the bullet profile, soft shooting and burns clean.

I am starting to think it's all hearsay, because I haven't seen any load data for 9mm WST that came from a reloading manual or a manufacturer.

I don't mind doing a little "wildcat" loading, just trying to get to the bottom this combo.

You need to find some older load manuels from the 1990's, there will be plenty of WST loads in them.

While you are doing that research, be sure to compare the WST loads against 231, you will after a while notice they are near identical, aka with .1gr.

Ron

You need to find some older load manuels from the 1990's, there will be plenty of WST loads in them.

While you are doing that research, be sure to compare the WST loads against 231, you will after a while notice they are near identical, aka with .1gr.

Ron

It seems the 4th edition Hornady has some information on WST and 9mm.

I was noticing a similar patter between WST/231 with some .40 loads. Max load seems to be nearly identical but WST velocity is down about 5-10%

• 1 month later...