Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for light 180's- 1.120oal?

Danva

Would it be okay to drop the power factor in my wifes PARA with VV320 & a 180gr bullet seated out to 1.120"? Is the powder not good for lighter loads or will it be okay down to a 140 - 145pf?

Would clays be better? I can not shorten the bullet length to much or it won't feed. It was suggested that she shoot minor loads for a while to get used to the recoil and stop pushing the gun in anticapation.

Thanks all

Danva

PS. good to be able to put faces to some of the names I have met here. Great AREA 8

I have experimented a bit with N320 and 180grs JHP bullets (1.180" COAL) in a SVI Competition.

Here a zip file with loading data I experimented in .40" SW for said SVI: use at your own risk.

My load of 4.3 grs under said bullet at said COAL gave an average (on 5 rounds) of 803 fps, for a 144 PF. ES was 55 fps and SD was 27 fps.

Didn't recall if there was unburned powder, but judging from quite high ES and SD, the powder didn't burn completely or too well, since I usually get SDs of 6/9 fps @ 177PF with same powder/bullet combo.

If your wife is having a problem with recoil I would suggest dropping the bullet wieght and use a 165gr TC and switch to a slower buring powder such as N340. The recoil impulse will be much lighter even at a 170 PF. They are also easier to download to a minor PF using "Bullseye" which I have found to be a little softer than 320 or 310. You may also want to see if a change in recoil spring helps her as each person has there own perception and what works for one may not work for another.

My wife is 62 and I have had her to the range and she has shot her own handguns as well as mine. She was really getting into it so I decided to let her shoot my Open 40 with a 180grJHP stuffed over 9.3grs of N-105 which ismy pin load which is making a 190plus PF and she loved it and proclaimed that would be her favorite gun to shoot! Go figure! But it gave me a reason to have another open gun built so that if she decides to shoot a Match with me she will have her own gun. :D