Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Latest Open Gun Build

Darren is a friend of mine and he is quite prowd of this build and rightfully so. I have not shot this pistol but I am sure I will in the near future. I think the weight will also help with his elbow issues. I call Darren a "hobbyst" gun builder but I have seen and handled this gun and ANYBODY would be prowd to own it.

Good job my friend!

Marty

A-7424

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice. What mill are you using? I would love to work up to something like this in the future.

Thanks. It's a Grizzly...I think the model is 3102?? It's not fancy. It's a good basic beginner vertical mill. I would really like to get something bigger and add a DRO, but I don't have the room at my house. Need a new house first.

D

The comp that ended up on the gun is actually a little different than the comp that is shown being made in the pictures. The first comp was made out of 1.5 inch diameter material. I did this so I could end up with with a comp that hung down lower and meet the line between the frame and slide. However, a potential problem arose with the long dust cover. I discovered that if the loctite ever broke loose and the comp indexed just a little, the back of the comp would hit the corner of the frame when the barrel unlocked. This caused the whole thing to jam up and potentially damage the comp/frame/and threads on the barrel. I ended up cutting the corners of the comp off to prevent this, but it was ugly so I made a second comp. The second time around I cut the diameter of the blank so that it would not hit the corners. I also reversed the ports. The first comp had a 1/4 diameter port first and then several 3/16 in ports. The second time around I put the 1/4 in port last. I did this to retain a little more gas longer.

[edited for typos]

Edited by ExtremeShot