Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super -- Suggest Some Powders/Loads?

Sin-ster

if your a good fellow I will share my SC loads :) if you shooting CAS tomorrow come find me i will give you a hand full of my 9.9 grain HS-6 loads with a 115 shoot wicked flat! and soft but kinda dirty

Edited by Mat Price

I'm picking through the Archives slowly, and finding all sorts of variations and suggestions based on gun specs-- hybrids, poppels, shorty vs. 5", etc.

So... I figured I'd go semi-lazy (and keep searching) and just ask outright.

The gun:

Dawson Signature 5"

No poppels, "Awesome Comp 2"

I shoot Production now, and am retaining the 124 MG JHP's as the projectile. (135's and 147's feel sluggish to me-- I doubt that'll be a problem in an Open gun, though.)

I don't much care how the load "feels", provided that it shoots "flat" and the dot tracks well. It'll have to be relatively gassy, but I doubt that the gun will need a ton of juice to work the comp and make PF due to the "old school" configuration.

Brass will be Starline +p, primers WSR-- if that makes any difference at all. :lol:

Any and all suggestions are very much welcome!

That gun will perform best with N105 or AA#7 and N350 isn't bad. I don't have the load book handy but @10-10.2gr of AA#7 124/5gr JHP set 1.235. That Awesome comp does a great job. The signature has a bit of a heavy slide by todays standards, so you go with a 9# or 8# spring. If you aren't happy around 170-174 pf you can try pushing it up a bit.

Powder choices are about perception, and trouble is all shooters perceptions are not equal. Once you think you have the one try some timed testing and don't forget about accuracy.

Those are very nice guns, and I don't think the slide weight is a handicap it will run plenty too fast as it is.

• 2 weeks later...