Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, next problem

Bob McGee

I am building a 1911 in 9mm from parts acquired from various sources. Colt Gold Cup frame, Essex arms slide, Storm lake barrel. The matching up of these parts has been an enjoyable project. I now have a problem that I am not sure of how to handle.

With the slide all of the way forward ( action closed ) the slide is not far enough forward, by about 3/32" to be able to lift the safety. I also see that the back of the slide hangs over the frame by about 3/32". the over hang can easily be ground or filed away to match the frame, but it might be more of a problem to grind the safety or the safety notch in the side to make things work. I am not sure of how to correct this problem. I don't know if this is common, if the slide or the barrel is out of speck, or if this is normal stack up of measurement when using parts from different sources. I realize that part of the problem is that I have been trying to do this job on a budget, but that was the best I could afford.

Bob

Barrel is not locking up in the right position to allow the slide barell combo to move forward that amount

Try changing barrel link pins.

Check the barrel slide without any links and see if it goes forward that extra amount or if something(the bottom lug of the barrel)preventing it from traveling forward.

I will try to help as much as I can on this one.

PM me if that don't work and I will forward over my cell number.

cool project gun..but it sounds like the barrel needs more fitting. either hood, lower lug or could be a barrel link(too tall) take your time and dont get in a hurry..

when you get done, you will have a nice pistol, and take it out and shoot some matches with it. then you can start calling the expensive store bought pistols "trashy kimbers" i can recall just the other day i called a brazos Pro SX a "cheap saturday night special"

i have essex limited 10 gun.. 45 auto... shoots nice.

fit the frame and slide pretty tight for a stainless gun, maybe too tight.

long story short, in 10,000 rounds the frame to slide fit was about like WW2 colt.

everything else is still real tight, shoots accurate.

i think the hardness of essex parts just isnt there though..

finished pistol looks sharp though, and still cheaper than those trashy kimbers...

just jokin, kimbers good tool,

let us know how your project comes out.

Harmon