Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 load for Commander size 1911?

AK Shooter

FINALLY! Got my EB Kobra Carry the other day and can't wait put some new loads together. I'd like to use Montana Gold 200/230Gr CMJ bullets and N320 powder. Since this is a commander size 1911 (new to me), can those of you more wise than I give me your 2 cents on favorite loads? I heard some of these 4" guns can be a little fickle although she has chewed through everything (factory ammo) I fed her so far. Thanks.

Edited by AK Shooter

Commander length 1911 are not that fickle (but more problems seem to crop up with sub-4" barrels) and EBs tend to run really well. Load whatever you use in your gov't length 1911 and you'll be fine.

I agree with FL Slim. I shoot the same loads in my govt. model as I do in my commander with no problems. My G36, on the other hand, doesn't like the flat nose bullets and will only shoot ball so it only gets a little factory once in a while.

• 3 months later...

Going to have to watch your FPS drop from a 5" down to the 4" .. I have a 50-60 fps drop using the same load. In my 5", I get 820fps average and it drops down to 760 or so average out of my 4" 1911. I use N320 with 5.1 grains using a 200 grain LSWC at 1.265. I will have to try and work up this load up to 5.2-5.4 is my guess, in order to meet major power factor in my 4". That's really pushing N320 though; I don't want to switch to a slower powder, so I might have to move away from VV powders for now? I hate the recoil impulse/speed of slower powders in 45, especially for USPSA matches. What gets me though, is that load should get me 900+ fps out of my 5" according to the load data, and I'm not even in the high 800's based on my chrono data (VV uses a 6" barrel for testing).

• 3 weeks later...

A little late but I just happen to catch this thread. My favorite load for USPSA using my 5" Les Baer is 200 gn Berry's Plated FP, CCI 300, OAL=1.225, with 5.4 gns of Titegroup. That gives me about 860 fps. For IDPA, I bump up the charge to 5.6 or 5.7 gns for my 4" and I get about the same velocity. Hope this helps.