Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear spring slipping off sear?

Tattoo

Hey all,

This just happened to my Limited gun the other day and its a first for me. Is this something

that "can" happen under normal circumstances or do I have something wrong here??

T

Edited by Tattoo

What gun are you using the sear spring in? If you are using a traditional 1911 sear spring in a plastic gripped 2011 type pistol they can occasionally wiggle too far to the left and the left most spring leg will slip off the sear. I believe Dawson makes a sear spring specifically for the 2011 grip or, you can do what I do and others do and take a small punch and dimple the lower outside edges of the sear spring at the bottom enough to raise the material out and take out the wiggle room in the grip. That way it stays put when you install it. Does that make sense you you? Am I describing what what the problem youre having is? Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC

What gun are you using the sear spring in? If you are using a traditional 1911 sear spring in a plastic gripped 2011 type pistol they can occasionally wiggle too far to the left and the left most spring leg will slip off the sear. I believe Dawson makes a sear spring specifically for the 2011 grip or, you can do what I do and others do and take a small punch and dimple the lower outside edges of the sear spring at the bottom enough to raise the material out and take out the wiggle room in the grip. That way it stays put when you install it. Does that make sense you you? Am I describing what what the problem youre having is? Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC

Yes thats exactly what happened! It is a factory STI gun and I assume it came with a

2011 sear spring?? But it does seem to be able to wiggle side to much. I replaced

the mainspring with a 17lb ISMI and put it back together. I thought maybe I did something

wrong.....but it ran for over 300 rounds and then it happened?? Reaally lacking confidence

in the pistol now. Thank god it was just a practice session. But I need to correct this.

I thought maybe there was not enough tension on the sear spring from the mainspring housing??

And eventually the recoil caused it to shift to the left and come off the sear??

Thanks a lot for the advise! I really appreciate it

T

• 3 weeks later...

Would having the grip safety ground off so that it does not touch the sear at all have any

contribution to making the sear spring move and come off the sear??

T

It'll help a I tiny bit but not as much as preening the sides to remove the slop. Another suggestion is to wrap the bottom of the spring with masking or electrical tape enough that it won't wiggle and allow the spring to slip off. Try that. Hope it helps.

Cheers623

DVC

Hello: I have been using the Dawson sear spring for a while and they are great. The Ed Brown is also a good one. You can get them from forum sponsor Shooters Connection. That reminds me I should order some more :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help! My confidence in this 2011 took a HUGE dump when this happened.

I am gunna peen it and mask it. And order a new "quality" 2011 sear spring. Thanks!

T

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help! My confidence in this 2011 took a HUGE dump when this happened.

I am gunna peen it and mask it. And order a new "quality" 2011 sear spring. Thanks!

T

Hey guys,

T

Would having the grip safety ground off so that it does not touch the sear at all have any

contribution to making the sear spring move and come off the sear??

T

The grip safety never touches the sear. The grip safety contacts the back of the trigger stirrup when engaged, stopping the rearward movement of the trigger. The thumb safety is what blocks the sear.

It doesn't touch the sear itself. However it does touch the right-most sear-spring leg that provides positive engagement of the GS trigger bow stop arm. If you're going to disable the GS anyway, sometimes grinding/cutting off that stop arm will help keep the sear spring from moving in the frame channel as much. It's still a better idea to peen the sides of the spring to eliminate side to side play or just replace with a 2011 specific sear spring as mentioned above.

Cheers623

DVC

It doesn't touch the sear itself. However it does touch the right-most sear-spring leg that provides positive engagement of the GS trigger bow stop arm. If you're going to disable the GS anyway, sometimes grinding/cutting off that stop arm will help keep the sear spring from moving in the frame channel as much. It's still a better idea to peen the sides of the spring to eliminate side to side play or just replace with a 2011 specific sear spring as mentioned above.

Cheers623

DVC

I wanted to thank you all again for your help. I ended up going the route of least harm first and taped the sear spring. I shot a match with it and it ran great! The sear spring is a 2011 spring and does not move AT ALL now with the mainspring housing in place. I really learned a lot about the pistol taking it apart and I really appreciate all the advice!

You guys rock!

T

Edited by Tattoo