Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Changes for 2013

I was reading through the latest Front Sight magazine (May/June) and there is an article about some upcoming changes to the limited class in 2013 (page 12). The part that caught my attention was a possible 40 cal minimum. So if you are shooting Limited Minor with a 9mm Single Action now what class are you supposed to shoot in 2013? You can not shoot production with a single action (right?), so what, you get bumped to open?

I'm 99.9% sure they meant the .40 cal restriction is for major.

That is correct. There is an old thread (March 2012) about the 2013 changes coming for Ltd and L-10.

Your 9mm can still compete in Ltd/L-10 but will be scored as minor.

Thanks for the replies - I guess I just read this as a change when it sounds like there realy is not. I know 40sw can be loaded minor/major and interpreted the '40 cal minimum' as if you wanted to shoot minor you would just have to load your 40 rounds that way - but 9mm was out in limited. Did not make sense to me either so I thought I would ask. Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies - I guess I just read this as a change when it sounds like there realy is not. I know 40sw can be loaded minor/major and interpreted the '40 cal minimum' as if you wanted to shoot minor you would just have to load your 40 rounds that way - but 9mm was out in limited. Did not make sense to me either so I thought I would ask. Thanks again!

I see the source of confusion. The article says:

The rules adopted by theUSPSA Board of Directors for 2013 come very close to that standard -- but add “onports, .40 cal minimum, and mags 141.25mm long.”

I've sent email to Robin ask about the source of the quote.

In the meantime, I think you can safely rely on the reassurances of the poster above, as well as read for yourself what the BOD had approved:

http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20111202.pdf

http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20111202_Revised_Limited_Division.pdf

when the new rules are applicable will there be a new rulebook available as well?

I shoot 9 minor for both limited and SS, my Section coordinator told me I can shoot both in 2013 but I will be bumped to Open. Wondering if thats true or not.

when the new rules are applicable will there be a new rulebook available as well?

I shoot 9 minor for both limited and SS, my Section coordinator told me I can shoot both in 2013 but I will be bumped to Open. Wondering if thats true or not.

With regards to Limited, your section coordinator maybe basing his statement on the latest issue of Front Sight. I asked Robin about his Front Sight article. He misspoke/miswrote about 40 being the minimum caliber for Limited. He meant to say that .40 is still the minimum caliber for Major for Limited. 9mm/.38 is still the minimum for minor.

As for SS, I don't know why your Section Coordinator thinks you'll be bumped to Open for shooting minor.

If the gun in question is on the list of approved guns for Production, then yes, you can shoot a SA in Production. If it's not on the list and you declared your division as Production and started to shoot a match, I believe you would be moved to Open.

Edited by jdphotoguy

If the gun in question is on the list of approved guns for Production, then yes, you can shoot a SA in Production. If it's not on the list and you declared your division as Production and started to shoot a match, I believe you would be moved to Open.

You cannot shoot SA (only) guns or start with the hammer in the SA positiion in Production. There are no SA guns on the Production list. If one was ever to slip in it would be a mistake. It is a DA start Division. If you were to declare Production and shoot a 1911, yes you would be bumped to Open but hopefully the first RO would catch it.

Absolutely not true. No changes at all were made in Single Stack. No change was made to the minimum calibers for any of the Divisions either. The .40 cal comment only pertains to Major and remains unchanged, same with the 9mm for minor and unchanged.

A new rule book will not be printed for this change in 2013. You can read the changes the BOD made in the online meeting minutes. There is a new rule book planned soon. I believe work will start this year or next. With an anticipated print date of 2014.