Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trojan jamming

I have a wierd jam thing happening sometimes. It is like the spent case slides up too far on the breech face to eject and the next round feeds but wont chamber. The spent round wont eject because it is above the ejector and when I try and cycle the slide it tries to feed another round. I have to drop the mag(which is stuck at this point in time) to clear out the spent round and any live rounds. Here is a picture where I tried to duplicate it and it kind of resembles what it looks like. I am leaning towards extractor, kind of want an Aftec any way, but I really don't know. It never did thish until I had the gun refinished.

IMAG0677.jpg

Yeah, looks like the extractor has lost tension, I'm with Ronnie, pull it and re-bend it some (might take a few tries to get it right).

Going to an Aftec is a good idea IMO, just make sure you get the correct one: .38 super, I mistakenly got the 9mm/.38 supercomp one and it was actually worse in the Trojan than the standard one unless I only ran one spring with it (the rear one). I found out later through another thread that the Aftec guys actually recommend the .38 super one for 9mm STI's (and it's showing as in-stock, just checked).

Edited by ck1

Yeah, looks like the extractor has lost tension, I'm with Ronnie, pull it and re-bend it some (might take a few tries to get it right).

Going to an Aftec is a good idea IMO, just make sure you get the correct one: .38 super, I mistakenly got the 9mm/.38 supercomp one and it was actually worse in the Trojan than the standard one unless I only ran one spring with it (the rear one). I found out later through another thread that the Aftec guys actually recommend the .38 super one for 9mm STI's (and it's showing as in-stock, just checked).

I for sure ordered the wrong one then. I ordered the 9mm one. I will have to call and change it. Thanks for the heads up.

Paul,

I had the same issue with my kimber 9mm. I corrected the problem by adding additional extractor tension.

call up Jonathon tomorrow, he may have an Aftec in stock that he could bring to the match on Saturday. Or..... you could just add a bit of tension to the one you have.

Bob

Its not an extractor issue. The breech face is over cut. I'm also guessing that your ejector has a large bevel on the top inside corner. Unfortunately that is at the most critical place for there to be plenty of material. That is the corner where the ejector is supposed to hit the spent case. One way to check it is to pull your slide off and push a shell as high up the breech face as you can. Look down the ejector slot from the rear of the slide and see how much brass you can see. The proper fix is to machine the slot deeper into the slide and install an oversized ejector.

Thanks Bob, if I shoot USPSA this weekend I will be shooting my limited gun so I wont need it this weekend. I thought about having you re-tension it for me. I heard you are the master!

I spoke with Chuck at shooters connection and he says only use the .38 super extractor if you have a true 9mm breech face. He said that it is pretty unlikely that I have a 9mm breech face because no one uses them anymore unless they are building a .38 super. I am going to try the 9mm /.38SC one. Chuck says I should probably get it in a week or so. I may have to shoot my Glock ::wretch:: in a match or two.

I have shot several thousand rounds through this gun so I cant imagine that the breech face is over cut, although everything you said is true. The case slides up completely past the ejector groove and the ejector is cut just like you said. I am guessing if the extractor was tighter it would hold the case against the breech face better. I guess if the extractor does not fix it I will go a little deeper into it. It only jams about 1 out of 100 rounds but that was enough to cost me a first overall finish this weekend....

I spoke with Chuck at shooters connection and he says only use the .38 super extractor if you have a true 9mm breech face. He said that it is pretty unlikely that I have a 9mm breech face because no one uses them anymore unless they are building a .38 super. I am going to try the 9mm /.38SC one. Chuck says I should probably get it in a week or so.

Yeah, that's the correct info.

I looked up a couple of the older threads on "which Aftec for a Trojan 9mm", and after checking the parts numbers listed, looks like I had posted earlier the exact opposite of what seems to be correct; the 9mm/.38 super-comp is supposed to be the correct one to get. Guess i had it mixed up as the 9/38 super-comp version didn't play well with my particular specimen.

Sorry for adding to your confusion. Good luck.