Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Mec-Gar 9mm mag weight?

Does anyone have any of the new 9mm Mec-Gar mags for a large frame (elite match?) Would you mind throwing them on the scale and telling me the weight? I am getting 3.7oz for my stock old orange style mag. I am trying to get this thing IDPA ESP legal. With aluminum guide rod and houge grips I am getting 43.3oz with old style empty mag. .3oz OVER THE DANG LIMIT! So im right there! I am hoping the new mags will weigh .3 oz less than the old.. Also does anyone have hennings aluminum grips for the match, could I get a weight on those also?

Thanks! :lol:

Have a gunsmith take an ounce of weight out of the frame or slide then you won't have to worry about using specific parts to make weight.

I was thinking about that, but I would, if possible like to avoid modifying the frame in any permanent way.

You seriously don't want to be flirting within tenths of an ounce of being over weight. You can easily take an ounce of weight out of the frame or slide and have a good weight buffer to work with. Hell, you could take an ounce out of both and have a lot of head room for adding whatever upgrade parts you want onto the gun.

My Witness Match in .40 has plastic grips which I believe are probably much lighter than the earlier rubber grips, with no alterations it weighed 42.4 ounces.

Correction/Edit: Sorry, that's with a K10 magazine (10mm -I've been loading long at 1.243" OAL) which has no spacer, unlike the .40 and I assume the 9mm.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

My Witness Match in .40 has plastic grips which I believe are probably much lighter than the earlier rubber grips, with no alterations it weighed 42.4 ounces.

Correction/Edit: Sorry, that's with a K10 magazine (10mm -I've been loading long at 1.243" OAL) which has no spacer, unlike the .40 and I assume the 9mm.

Is your the model with the rail??

They are heavier than the old mags! 4.05oz for the new vs. 3.78 for the old. I'm pretty sure slide lightening is not legal for IDPA, but there is a ton of metal at the back of the Match frame.

Edited by pivoproseem

They are heavier than the old mags! 4.05oz for the new vs. 3.78 for the old. I'm pretty sure slide lightening is not legal for IDPA, but there is a ton of metal at the back of the Match frame.

Yes, slide lightening is not legal for IDPA, but the rule book is mum about frame lightening.