Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" 627 vs 5" 625

twister

I have a chance to buy a 5"627,and would like to know if it would be much different than my 625. I've just started shooting revolver in competition,and wanted to know if there be any advantage to the 627. I read the thread on 610 vs 625, both those are 6 shots.Any help on this would be appreciated,Dave.

8 shots with longer cases to make major are harder to reload. In USPSA since you can only shoot six something like a 610, 625, 25 or even a 646 or 686 would be better. Not as versatile but better suited to the task of USPSA Revolver division.

Lee

Hi Dave,

I'm an IPSC RO and: in revolver class you must reload after 6 shots otherwise you are penalized a procedural, therefore a revolver with more than 6 rounds creates an unneccesary jeapordy for the competitor. I use a S&W 610 shooting .40 to make major PF. My wife made it clear she will never compete so she chose for herself a PC S&W 627. It is impractical for USPSA/IPSC, IDPA and PPC but she really enjoys shooting it when she accompanies me to the range when I practice. I'm a lucky man...

Cheers

Brian

Consider the 8 shot for USPSA production, and Limited 10.

You'll have a blast and you'll finish well up in the standings.

ICORE Pins and plates all require a bit of accuracy combined with speed.

Bring that to a USPSA match and you'll turn heads and have a ton of fun.

I'm sure you would turn heads and have a ton of fun, but we need to get revolver recognized at every match if at all possible. It is a little disheartening to practice and spend money to go to a big match knowing that you won't be recognized.

I would love to shoot uspsa production with my 627, but I don't think I can with the hammer spur removed. I have never seen a revolver shooter shoot single action in any match so I can't understand why it's a problem if this rule is correct. This prodction thing with a me would only be to try it a few times with a 627. I would'nt give up shooting revolver division with a 625. For me, thats the only way to go.

For fast reloads nothing beats gravity and those big holes in the cylinders of the 625. Those 45ACP's loaded with 230 gr. RN bullets almost drop in to the chambers as if they were magnetized.

If you are shooting USPSA, the 625 is the only way to go. Examples: Jerry Miculek, Matt Griffin, Cliff Walsh, Elliot Ayssen, John Bagakis,etc. The list is long and distinguished.

True. Except John B. regularly shoots an 8-shot revolver in Limited 10 at our club matches at Richmond Rod and Gun Club, and spanks me with my 1911 like I stole something! :bow:

While I consider myself a fair shooter, by far no expert I find it a lot easier/faster to reload my 625. The rounds just fall right in. If you are interested in shooting ICORE you can also download the loads and shoot a very soft load.