Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited Gun

I'm getting interested in limited division. I won't ask what gun to use for limited; I'm trying to get my own idea. But my question is what kind of magazine capacities are people getting out of 40 and 9mm limited guns?

the only "mods" i would really want to do are using a race holster, and higher cap mags/basepads. if that's all i'm going to do, does it just make more sense to stay in production?

You have to go Limited if you want to go past 10 rounds in the mag and use a race holster. On the other hand, you could try to convince your club to run some matches under IPSC rather than USPSA rules, but then you'll just be trading up from 10 to 15 rounds and getting to use a race holster. Remember that the gun still has to fit in the box for IPSC. For USPSA just need to make sure the magazine is not longer that 141.25mm.

In USPSA Limited, with the EAA/Tanfoglio's, 21 reloadable in a 40S&W magazine is common. It's 23/24 reloadable in a 9mm magazine. I don't know what CZ's or Glocks are managing to get.

Edited by Skydiver

That's a big advantage to Limited - mag capacity and using a race holster along with using about any platform you want - SA or DA. It's fun to branch out and try other divisions, the way you break down and shoot courses are very different.

I am getting 20 or 21 rounds in my .40 mags, most get between 17-21. In a 9mm 140 mag, I'm getting 24, most get between 20-24.

Do what you feel is right for you but I would vote to try all the divisions, if possible, to see what suits you and your style the best. Good luck!

40S&W; 20-21 (+1)

9mm; 23-24 (+1)

This is for 140mm S_I mags.

thanks for the reply. out of curiosity, how many are open guys fitting? i thought i heard 28-29? (9mm)

I have a few big sticks that fit 30...

thanks for the replies. right now, i sort of like reloading constantly in production, but i've been thinking about branching out and "building" a limited gun. i don't own anything in .40, so it's mostly an excuse to get one. :)

building is in quotes, because it will likely just be a production legal gun, with mags filled all the way up and a few other very minor tweaks, due to cost constraints.

I am a little confused on what you are really trying to do. You mentioned about your production gun, topping off your mags and shoot limited then mention about a limited gun build.

If you go Limited, 40 major is the way to go. If you want the challenge, the best compromise is SS, you can score major, and reload more. I am shooting production now because I like the challenge of reloading more, but looking at it, upside is soft recoil due to minor loads, but i thought, best compromise, SS, major load, 8 (+1) rounds. IMO.

And if you want the ultimate challenge. Get a wheelgun, shoot major, 6 rounds. Again, IMO.

Im only trying to get a better understanding of limited division. my "build" was in quotes for the stated reason and was part of the same thought and post in regard to filling the mags up in a production gun, because im not in the position to buy/build a proper one. so my real question was about standard limited mag capacity so i can decide for myself if i can get close, and if it is worth it.

Anyway, thank you for the replies. My questions were answered. Thank you. :)

Most are getting 20 in the 40 and 23 in the 9mm with STI tubes and grams guts. You can get more in the 40 to include 21 and even 22 rounds but your definatley paying for those 22 rounders. Most people use the 20 round mags for their everyday and have maby 1 22 rounder that is only used IF it makes a difference ie 22 round hose stage.

I shoot an XDM in Limited/L10 and, with Canyon Creek extensions and Grams guts, I am getting 20rds reloadable for Limited. A couple of them, I can just squeeze 21 in the mag, but its tough and I don't want to deform the mag lips. I usually have a mag that I load one from into the chamber, then insert a full 20rd mag. 20 is a good round nuber to remember when you need to change mags.

Why don't you just fill your production gun all the way up on match and see how you like it? Then you don't need to spend any money and just get to shoot. I shot SS my whole career but this area isnt really SS friendly.

I tried a limited gun just to see if I liked it, and hell yes I do! Now it's a 6" 20 getting 21 reliable rounds for uspsa, 3 gun, and fun shoots. I reload when I want, and that let's you break down stages in a different or more challenging way.