Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Primers

Tree Rat

I know that they (SRP) supposed to & I know a lot of shooters use them. I think the main reason is a more efficient burn of the powder used. I have read studies that say (tongue in cheek) that the difference is minimal when going to a SRP or Mag Primer. I have substituted Mag Primers and dropped the load 5% in Rifle with good accuracy results however the FPS did not change much. From what I have gathered so far, is that once a load is developed that satisfies ones need then stick with it. Also I think that it all is relative to the particular powder used. I have a friend who makes "Major" in 9mm (Open Class) & he uses straight SP Federal Primers with no pressure problems. Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

I use Federal Small Rifle primers in any high pressure loading that I load. The steel is a little stronger which helps avoid primer shearing and the possibility of blocking the firing pin. I have no comparison to give you as I would not use SP primers in such loads. I have heard that SRP burn a little slower thus giving a better burn but who know's :blink:

I do know that in my 9mm Major using 115gr FMJ bullets I would not trust any other primer.

Robert brings to light an interesting point. i.e. Wt. of bullet being used vs the primer/powder. My friend runs a 147 gr. bullet for his Major 9mm load with HS-6. I have no idea about other powders/burn rate/bullet weights. Perhaps I have been misinformed but my understanding is that a SRP & a Mag Primer burns hotter so that the powder is more uniformly ignited and this combination produces more consistent accuracy. But....I must admit, I have to reach into the cobwebs of my mind for this data. Although I have never heard of this, the idea of Federal SRP metal being stronger is new to me also but it does make sense in so far as primer shear. Quite a few of my friends shoot Glocks (including the guy who makes 9mm Major) and methinks thay all use Federal SP Primers. I think because of "trigger jobs". I will have to ask to make absolutly sure.

TR, I have no idea where you are in your shooting but I do know that for me, a trusted person who moderates on this site gave me some basic shooting fundamentals to work on to improve same. I have to master these before I start playing with primer/powder/bullet/seating depth combinations. The primary gun that I use already shoots better that I am capable of shooting so I just stay with the SP primers. Although I have tried different ones. Thanks! Good & Safe Shooting - JC :)

I shoot major 38 super with win 540 and 124gr bullets. I used both spm and srp at the old 180 pf. The rifle primers showed alot less signs of pressure stress etc. I had almost 0 flow with the srp's, while with the spm primers I did have alot of flow, and an occasional blocked firing pin.

Now with lower powerfactor not so much of a problem with the 124gr bullets that I use.

I guess I will know more at the end of september when I switch to 9 major and try 115's maybe.