Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are any of you running 92D or 96D models?

ramairthree

Yes, I am sure they would be few and far between in competition.

I scored a LE trade in 92D with the Brig slide at a great price.

The DAO trigger is much better than I had expected.

I would consider using it, at least as a back up for my FS or

G.

DSC00406.jpg

Edited by ramairthree

Just got lucky.

Was going to get one of the inexpensive 92D regular slide LE trade ins at CDNN.

Never had a D, and can't say I'm a DAO fan, but love multiples of guns that fit the same holsters and take the same mags.

And price was right.

Anyways, when I called to order they were out.

A week or so later my LGS left a message saying they had one of those used Beretta Brigs that I like.

I expected a regular Brigadier, or an Elite, or whatever.

When I got there, and it was a 92D Brig, I almost did not buy it.

(All my 92s are regular slides, my 96s brig slides)

But it was only 30$ more than CDNN had been asking for the regular 92Ds.

Plus it had the no longer made Farrar grips. So I broke my rule and got it.

Only after the fact did I find out that a 92D Brig slide is rare as hen's teeth.

The trigger was so much better than I expected, plus I remember reading a Massad Ayoob book a while ago where he seemed to be a D fan somewhat,

that I thought I would ask if anyone uses one for production.

The gun has the little P shield on the trigger guard, but when I look up the serial number it is listed as a regular 10 round mag 92D Brigadier and not a police special. So it may have just been a used gun and not a LE trade in.

Edited by ramairthree

• 7 months later...

For several years I've run my 92D in both local and state IDPA matches. It's a great gun-the trigger pull characteristics are very similar to that of a tuned Smith & Wesson revolver. I got mine brand new in box in 2006, although it was actually manufactured in 1996, probably as part of a LEO order. The distributor had of course stripped out the 15 round magazines (during the assault weapons/magazine capacity ban period), substituting 2 10 rounders-so you had a large, emasculated duty gun in an action that most autopistol owners steered away from, making it essentially sale-proof.

Since I've had it, I've switched out the recoil spring, slide stop/release spring, triggerbar spring, and trigger return spring for Wolff springs-the trigger return spring was replaced with Wolff's reduced power Trigger Conversion Unit (TCU), a very durable captured coil spring assembly. Magazines are Check-Mate's dry film magazines (Check-Mate is my sponsor), which have run impeccably. The OEM plastic grips were first replaced with a set of Craig Spegel-designed Uncle Mike's, then a set of Ergo Grips Extreme Grips, and then with a set of very thin and ergonomic Trausch TJ92 grips (which literally transform the handling characteristics of the gun, in a positive way). The OEM sights were Trijicons, which, despite their age, still offer an excellent night and day sight picture.

I carry the gun in a Kramer IWB #2 holster for both real-world carry and IDPA. Due to the nightsights, DAO trigger, and simplicity of controls, the 92D frequently serves as my nightstand gun, easily operable by my wife if needed.

Some images:

DSCN1163.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

And in the 2012 Washington State IDPA match:

WashingtonStateIDPAMatch-95.jpg

WashingtonStateIDPAMatch-328.jpg

Best, Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd had one of those as well, before I really had acquired the knowledge and skill-set necessary to use effectively the DAO trigger. It was a 92D Centurion Police Special, with the slightly cruder slide appearance typical of the Police Special models of the period (BUSA allowed the cutting tools configuring the slides to remain in use longer than those for the commercial pistols, leaving increasing amounts of tool markings as the cutters aged), and had 3 dot contrast sights. I added a set of Farrar grips, and used a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster primarily for carry.

It was a good gun, but I'm quite happy with my current 92D-and this time have dedicated the time needed to develop and apply the skill set needed....hmmm, there's probably a lesson in there somewhere...

Best, Jon

• 2 weeks later...