Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357sig revo....

Beladran

i have been sitting here for some time tossing around the idea of a 6 shot 357sig revo. I am sure there has to be something wrong with the idea otherwise it would have been made by now.. I can see this in my head, SW610 with a .356 ported 6inch barrel, custom cylinder, C-more on top. win win win????

thoughts?

Besides the novelty of owning one, what would be the gain? .357 or hot .38 can keep up ballistics wise. The sig might reload easier. In minor it wouldn't win anything over a short colt.

But it is your dream so I will play along. Mine would go like this. I would buy a new Pc barrel for a 627. The one on mine slugged small so I think it would work. Plus I like the slab side look. Then I would find an older 6 shot 627 and have the cylinder reamed with the sig reamer. Throw on an Allchin mount and I would like to try the Leupold dot or the new smaller C-more.

Beladran, The only issue would be a shouldered case in a Revo. The cas would headspase on the shoulders and any crud would cause a problem, in my opinion. I toyed with idea of a 9X25 Revo just because and the reason given above by my friend and gunsmith was why I did not go further. Now if on the clock reloads would no be an issue, well why not?. :ph34r: later rdd

im sure there was similar talk when 38supers came out in revos.

I figured headspace might be a issue but worse case you could run a brush down the cylinder every other stage. not shooting lead bullets might help to..

The main reason not to do it is because of the bottleneck case. Theoretically once you fire and the case expands in all directions, it may not shrink back enough to not drag on the recoil shield. With the case wedged between the shoulder and the recoil shield the cylinder would not turn or be very difficult to turn. That is the theory. I have never heard of it actually being done to find out for sure. I have been threatening to do it myself for years just to see but never could find the time.

The 22 jet was one of these oroginal bottle neck cases in a revolver.. and while some people could make them work, most people could not and that was the issue. I could see utility in a 357 sig in a 610.. it would make loading very quick since you're trying to fit a 35 cal bullet into a 40 cal hole. With moon clips you no longer need headspace on the case, you headspace on the moon clip. Lower pressure loads could make for a nice soft shooter.. It would be a disadvantage against the 8 shooter in ICORE, but would be fine as a 6 shooter in USPSA. It might edge out the 610/40 S&W combo in reloading speed due to the smaller bullet/large case holes. You'd need a custom cylinder and a custom barrel, but the moon clips are already available.

Edited by sargenv