Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 HAP .40 Minor Load

KTKlaus

I am going to attempt a minor load using Hornady 180 HAP in front of VVN320 in a STI Edge (w/ RecoilMaster if it makes a difference). Has anyone tried this combination (any load data) yet with any field experience? I have a perfect (for my gun and myself) major load with those two combined for USPSA, however with no PF scoring in most 3Gun matches I want to attempt a softer/minimal kick load. I have a few weeks before I can test anything and was thinking of just going down in .1 increments, but if anyone has any loads that worked, I may use that as a base reference rather try loading several hundred rounds for mere testing (save them for matches). I read some loads around 3.8 with other various bullets but primarily through a G35 with shorter OAL.

Also, what may be the lowest to go that may not cycle? I will stick with OAL of 1.18 as that seems to feed very well. If not, I will post my results.

I already have a Glock 34 that I made 3Gun ready, I just "feel" better with the STI and can't put down the doe for another Edge for just 3Gun at this time.

Edited by KTKlaus

KT,

Try 3.5gr of 320 at your oal.........load and chrono about 10 X 2 , to document, I found it to be light and very accurate. Keep in mind if the gun will not cycle(depending on the current RS weight, what are you using?) you will have to change your recoil spring.

3.6 should be a great starting point and try a 10 or 9 lb. Wolff recoil spring.

All I run is Vit 320 under a 180 for major, dropped it to 3.8 with the RM still in back when, I dont have my notes on the chrono, guessing135-140, all I remember was it felt too clunky for me I ditched the RM and dropped in a 10lb spring and it was nice and soft., still run a 11lb on average from Major down to 4.2, ... I like that load for steel personally.

A few light loads that have worked in my STI are 3.8 Tightgroup under a 165 JHP giving 763 pfs and 4.0 Titegroup under a 180 TCFM giving 762. I used the last load at Fort Benning and had no issues knocking down steel.

I was actually thinking that recently as I was web-eye-shopping to maybe needing to get a new recoil spring. This weekend I am going to load up some test loads for minor based on your guys experiences and +/- .1 for a differential. Based on that I will have somewhat of a grasp on how light I need a new recoil spring.