Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock extractor ?

usmc1974

How much different/longer is a Glock 17/9mm extractor from a Glock35/40 extractor. I am using a 35 slide for my 40 to 9 conv barrel. Seems to work ok but out of 200 rounds I had 3 or 4 left standing up it I guess let go of and they did not fully eject.

Probably, the biggest issue is the ejector rather than the extractor. The biggest difference between the extractors is that the 40 extractor has a 5-degree bevel on the front to reduce stress on the lower part of the hook during feeding.. The extractor on the 9 sits a few thou deeper in the slide, which makes up for the smaller casehead diameter.

I'd say swap out the ejector.

How much different/longer is a Glock 17/9mm extractor from a Glock35/40 extractor. I am using a 35 slide for my 40 to 9 conv barrel. Seems to work ok but out of 200 rounds I had 3 or 4 left standing up it I guess let go of and they did not fully eject.

Do they have enough umph?

Could be not enough power. .40 slide is heavier. Might need to respring it.

Do they have enough umph?

Could be not enough power. .40 slide is heavier. Might need to respring it.

I should think the 35 slide might lighter then the 34 more.steel removed for the 40

Probably, the biggest issue is the ejector rather than the extractor. The biggest difference between the extractors is that the 40 extractor has a 5-degree bevel on the front to reduce stress on the lower part of the hook during feeding.. The extractor on the 9 sits a few thou deeper in the slide, which makes up for the smaller casehead diameter.

I'd say swap out the ejector.

I think you might be right, it never failed to extract the empty case, just failed to eject it. As I have an extra 9mm extractor I can find out. Thanks B

Edited by usmc1974

The issue with using a 9mm ejector in a 40 is a matter of strike point. The 9 ejector will want to strike the casehead a little farther inboard than the 40 ejector will. That COULD be a problem, but it would likely work more often than not.

A possible danger comes in that the 9 ejector's strike point, being closer to the center, is closer to the primer. That can cause the infamous "Unload And Show Clear" detonation, which can happen anytime the stars are correctly aligned, but are more prevalent if the ejector is hitting closer to center.

The issue with using a 9mm ejector in a 40 is a matter of strike point. The 9 ejector will want to strike the casehead a little farther inboard than the 40 ejector will. That COULD be a problem, but it would likely work more often than not.

A possible danger comes in that the 9 ejector's strike point, being closer to the center, is closer to the primer. That can cause the infamous "Unload And Show Clear" detonation, which can happen anytime the stars are correctly aligned, but are more prevalent if the ejector is hitting closer to center.

Good points, I really like the 40 to 9 conv so it will mostly be shot this way in 3 gun matches. Thanks B