Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club looking to start Steel Challenge

Strick

We are looking to start shooting Steel Challenge and have been looking at how many targets would be needed. I don't think we need to go all in to start so we are looking at getting enough to set up all the stages but only 3-4 stages at a time. I was looking at it and it looks like 6 -10", 9-12" and 6 18x24 plates should do it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Yeah, you sound like you are right on the money. The most common ones are the 12" plates (we have 14 of them). If you do something like Smoke & Hope, 5 To Go, Roundabout, and Accelerator, the amount of plates you listed would do those stages at the same time with one 10" plate leftover. Of course, that will get boring soon so look to invest in more soon or you can throw in 2 or 3 official stages then do 1 or 2 custom stages where you come up with a design that will fit in with the plates you have. I do a custom stage about every month and always have at least 4 official stages.

We got the full 8 stage deal from GT Targets. Great guy to deal with, kept me informed the entire time. Going with the whole package was the best deal, but you may want to look into the SSC package or a couple practice sets with extra bases and caps.

Like GNG, we used to run 2 stock and 2 customs per month and never had any problems. We started running a fifth stage a few month ago and last month I had to change one of the custom stages as I ran out of the 18X24s. I was going for a hosefest theme :devil:

Custom stages sounds like an interesting idea, toss one in every so often to keep it fresh.

We are just looking at a way to get started without breaking the bank but still having the option of running 3-4 squads through 6-8 stages. We are an IDPA club that has been around for a lot of years but not sure how quickly Steel Challenge will catch on.

Custom stages sounds like an interesting idea, toss one in every so often to keep it fresh.

We are just looking at a way to get started without breaking the bank but still having the option of running 3-4 squads through 6-8 stages. We are an IDPA club that has been around for a lot of years but not sure how quickly Steel Challenge will catch on.

Custom stages really make it interesting for the regulars. One thing I have noticed about my steel match is that we get an unbelievable amount of newcomers, like 3-5 almost every match! Have a good newbie match brief and be ready to give it every match. I bet you will have as many or more shooters for steel than you do for IDPA, our steel match brings in usually a few more than our USPSA.

I really like steel and thing it is the best shooting sport for anyone to start in. It's challenging, but all of the shots are relatively easy. No movement, rimfire doesn't even need a holster. Make sure you have a couple squared away ROs for the newbies on and really hammer safety, it can be difficult with people bagging and unbagging the rimfires.

BTW I think 22LR rifle is usually our biggest division, what a blast!

i started a steel club late last year, pilfered the IPSC club steel for a while but ordered a scholastic set + 2 pieces from karl at gt and now i can set up 4 stages in the morning, then the other 4 stages in the afternoon for matches.

i also run a weekly practice session where we set up one stage and shoot it over and over, about once every 2 months i take all the falling steel the club has, set it up and we shoot that for variety

• 4 weeks later...

At the last steel match during Showdown, my buddy tagged one of the 10" plates and it actually broke at the hanger weld. Fortunately the range had extra plates on hand to replace it with. I say this ONLY to suggest that you might want to plan in having a replacement plate or 2 of each size as a reserve, just in case...