Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I broke my Hornady LnL!

I have loaded maybe 15,000 rounds through my LnL press when i starting to have some indexing issues. I tried to adjust the pawls but I could not get it to advance enough without catching.

After spending some time on the phone with Hornady and emailing them some photos they finally asked me to take of the shell plate and check the drive hub. Well it turns out the hub broken.

Hornady was very helpful and they sent me a replacement hub but I figured someone else may have this issue at some point and this may save them some trouble.

photo%281%29.JPG

photo.JPG

photo%281%29.JPG

Edited by TimAustinTX

Yep. The drive hub seems to be a weak part of the design. Or there was a bad batch.

My brand new LNL had the drive hub snap the very first day I had it, when I was setting up dies. They sent me a new one. It's been great since.

On further review, the drive hub seems to consistently snap at the level where the threaded steel insert ends within the cast aluminum part. It seems that any lateral force exerted on the hub (e.g. from the dies such as a hard to extract case or tough sizing stage) will wind up stressing this point. It's pretty much the only major potential design flaw I've seen, probably correctable if they just made the insert full-length.

Just an observation...

INteresting.

I haven't had this problem in 20k reloads, but those were pistol.

I did notice a quality issue with the shellplates that only becomes obvious when using a casefeeder. Had to do with the machining of the shellplate and not keeping the retaining spring deep enough.

Had no problem getting a decent replacement shellplate from Hornady, though they were hesitant to admin it was a problem with the shellplate (kept trying to blame the timing of my press)

Edited by Onagoth