Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope advice?

Ted Murphy

Hey All,

I am just a casual 3GN shooter right now. I committed to shooting a few matches in the coming months. A few years ago I picked up a Millet DMS scope used from a friend. I mounted it and sighted it in- then shot some local 3gun with it. Long story short, I really do not like this scope. For slow shooting, I can get the eye relief right and get nice shots off. For anything on the cuff, I cannot seem to get the eye relief right and am always looking into a blob instead of an image on the thing. I tried moving it around, but I still have trouble with it. I tried other shooter's 1-4X scope mounted gun, and did not have this problem. I don't always blame my gear for trouble but in this case, Epic Fail on the scope purchase. At least it was only a C note.

I do not have a dime to spend on a scope right now. I pooled some friends and have come up with the following scopes. They are decent models, not the cheaper stuff.

Handgun scope 1-4X. Could kick it Jeff Cooper Scout style-and mount it on the rail that is atop my free-float fore end, though I have no clue how well that would work.

Rifle scope 2.5-8X

Rifle Scope 3-9X

Fixed 9x

I could also rock out the irons, I have a set of A2 sights I can bolt on the rail. I do have to admit though, that on the smaller targets I simply do not see them as well as I once did.

I probably can borrow a set of offset iron sights to use with the above scopes for the shorter stuff too.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thank you,

Ted

I have a tr24 with the red triangle that I love, bought it at the LaRue BBQ (first year) for $520 new w/ mount and it's been great for close-medium range.

You could always PM some of the guys selling their scopes in the classifieds about what they did/didn't like cause there's lots of guys selling optics in there, you might even find one to your liking at a good price at some future time in the classifieds.

sorry to hear about your current scope issues and best of luck on finding the one right for you.

If what you list are your choices, I think I would pair the 2.5-8 or the 3-9 with a set of offset irons (which of these would depend on the FOV on the scopes and if either of them had a recticle that would help you engage targets at a distance.)

Depending on the distances you'd be shooting at, the iron sights are a good option (might want to consider a thiner front post).

If you can scrape together a bit of money you might see about a Burris TAC30 (they occasionally show up here in the classifieds) our can be had for a fairly reasonable price new.

Edited by caspian guy