Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Gun Bolt

spartacuslv

What is the purpose of lightening the shotgun bolt? Does it reduce recoil or just help the gun cycle faster/smoother? Is there any reason to do this if you are not a competition shooter? If I was to get it done is there anything else I should do to help that mod work better? What does getting something like that dome cost??

Thank you

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... If I was to get it done is there anything else I should do to help that mod work better? .....

Thank you

Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of their food stores with the hungry travellers. Then the travellers go to a stream and fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it, and place it over a fire. One of the villagers becomes curious and asks what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of garnish to improve the flavour, which they are missing. The villager does not mind parting with a few carrots to help them out, so that gets added to the soup. Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient. Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all.

[edit]

..... If I was to get it done is there anything else I should do to help that mod work better? .....

Thank you

Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of their food stores with the hungry travellers. Then the travellers go to a stream and fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it, and place it over a fire. One of the villagers becomes curious and asks what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of garnish to improve the flavour, which they are missing. The villager does not mind parting with a few carrots to help them out, so that gets added to the soup. Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient. Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all.

[edit]

merlin-have you been around fluids today?

I am not sure of what you are trying to say. I am hopeing that you are not using some large and very vague reference to try to tell me I should have searched before I asked. In case that is the point of your stiry I did search and did not find any answers. Perhaps I am using the wrong search term which if I am I am sorry.

Thank you

[edit]

Just that when you start adding every little thing leads to another and when you do them ALL - then you have it.

Or - one thing leads to another......

The bolt does make the gun cycle faster and IMHO a little less recoil. Something else to possible add to a non competition gun would be an aftermarket bolt handle. Maybe a better high viz front sight. A nice side saddle for a hunting gun would put more ammo right where you need it too. Smooth up the shell lifter to save the thumb or replace it with a welded one.

Yes, I was trying to be a smartass - but not a mean one.... smile.gif

I understand and i also know that the same questions get asked all the time in forums like this. I already got a side saddle and I replaced the bolt handle as well which was just about the cheapest upgrade I have made to a firearm that made a difference. I have also replaced the lifter gate so i do not lose my thumb. I am not really looking to just pour money into it I just keep seeing things about a lightened bolt and was curious if I could beefit from it. I do not think I need it to cycle any faster but I would not mind a little less recoil.

The recoil is not generated by the bolt. Recoil is the result of x ounces of shot being pushed down the barrel by the ignition of the powder charge. The recoil is created before the bolt travels to the back of it's cycle. Lightening the bolt has no effect on the recoil created by the shotshell. If that were true lightening the total weight of the gun should further reduce the recoil. Test that theory.

The bolt reaches the end of its travel when the recoil spring goes solid. A heavy weight hitting the end of its travel pushes back more than a lighter weight....?

I consider myself enlightened as I have shot both lightened and unlighted.

I understand and i also know that the same questions get asked all the time in forums like this. I already got a side saddle and I replaced the bolt handle as well which was just about the cheapest upgrade I have made to a firearm that made a difference. I have also replaced the lifter gate so i do not lose my thumb. I am not really looking to just pour money into it I just keep seeing things about a lightened bolt and was curious if I could beefit from it. I do not think I need it to cycle any faster but I would not mind a little less recoil.

You aren't going to get less recoil out of a Benelli. Embrace it, get that firm but loving grip and feel it in the pocket, love your gun and it will love you. Mods are generally done for reliability and to keep your thumb in one piece. Some guys run stock Benelli's just fine. Carl Carbon is one that comes to mind.

Edited by Jadeslade

Lightening the bolt does NOT reduce recoil, in fact it slightly increases recoil. Given the same load, a lightened bolt or carrier will move faster. Since energy goes as velocity squared, the total energy delivered by a reduced mass system increases. While the impact is actually a bit harsher with such a system, it is slightly reduced in time span. The 3rd and 4th derivatives of position are "Jerk" and "Jar" (the first being velocity and the second acceleration) and that is actually what you are feeling more than anything in recoil. People "feel" jerk and jar differently based on their physiology. The ratios of fat, muscle and skeletal material in the body (specifically the shoulder and neck) as well as nerve density all have an effect on how a person feels jerk and jar.

There really is not a universal answer. If you are rather dense and have shot a lot, a lightened carrier will probably feel like less recoil. If you are thin, especially in the neck, it probably will not feel better.

Lightening the bolt does NOT reduce recoil, in fact it slightly increases recoil. Given the same load, a lightened bolt or carrier will move faster. Since energy goes as velocity squared, the total energy delivered by a reduced mass system increases. While the impact is actually a bit harsher with such a system, it is slightly reduced in time span. The 3rd and 4th derivatives of position are "Jerk" and "Jar" (the first being velocity and the second acceleration) and that is actually what you are feeling more than anything in recoil. People "feel" jerk and jar differently based on their physiology. The ratios of fat, muscle and skeletal material in the body (specifically the shoulder and neck) as well as nerve density all have an effect on how a person feels jerk and jar.

There really is not a universal answer. If you are rather dense and have shot a lot, a lightened carrier will probably feel like less recoil. If you are thin, especially in the neck, it probably will not feel better.

Wow it just got nerdy in here.

The only reason to lighten a carrier is so it looks cool!

Wow it just got nerdy in here.

The only reason to lighten a carrier is so it looks cool!

Haha. There u go. Settled.

What you are missing is the lightened carrier slows down faster because it has less mass and does not slam into the back of the receiver as hard .

I'd sure like to see your energy calcs on that one... :surprise:

Ding ding ding. I agree completely with the above. Must be an engineer.

What you are missing is the lightened carrier slows down faster because it has less mass and does not slam into the back of the receiver as hard .

I'd sure like to see your energy calcs on that one... :surprise:

Lemme see...believe some guy from Colorado or believe THE Benny hill. :sight: