Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive but crude safety extension on 75B

Joe L

Before buying an SP01 safety, I thought I would try making an extension for the safety lever on my 75B SA/DA. The factory lever is just a little too narrow and too far forward for me. I needed a little more to hang my thumb on as close to the shaft centerline but still have enough leverage to flick the safety down on the draw.

I found a washer the same thickness as my Dremel cut off wheel and slotted the safety lever, then trimmed the washer and epoxied it in to the slot. Here is what it looks like before smoothing and finishing. The grind marks on the top of the lever are from removal of the 45 angle in an attempt to make a ledge for my thumb, but that wasn't enough, thus the extension.

At the least, this experiment will allow me to find the correct position for me for the addition to the lever, at the most, will result in purchase of both an SP01 lever and a replacement for the stock one!

i-xcWMMvJ-M.jpg

i-dhjmjKP-M.jpg

Will try today at the range in SAO mode, then dryfire tonight.

This is fun,

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Before buying an SP01 safety, I thought I would try making an extension for the safety lever on my 75B SA/DA. The factory lever is just a little too narrow and too far forward for me. I needed a little more to hang my thumb on as close to the shaft centerline but still have enough leverage to flick the safety down on the draw.

I found a washer the same thickness as my Dremel cut off wheel and slotted the safety lever, then trimmed the washer and epoxied it in to the slot. Here is what it looks like before smoothing and finishing. The grind marks on the top of the lever are from removal of the 45 angle in an attempt to make a ledge for my thumb, but that wasn't enough, thus the extension.

At the least, this experiment will allow me to find the correct position for me for the addition to the lever, at the most, will result in purchase of both an SP01 lever and a replacement for the stock one!

i-xcWMMvJ-M.jpg

i-mFKKf36-M.jpg

Will try today at the range in SAO mode, then dryfire tonight.

This is fun,

Joe

I did almost the very same thing on my spo1 SAO I didn't think of making a slot but I flattened the surface of the saftey and expoxed a little bigger thicker washer.I used 3M 8115 panel bonding glue so it's on for good. Yours looks very nicely done

Safety extension works OK, but needs to be a little lower relative to the slide. The shaft for the CZ safety is higher in the gun than on a 1911, for example, and is just harder to reach than in a 1911. The crude change above is an improvement, but I need to make some additional changes.

Joe

good start..

cutting the slot is a good thing for a little extra support. the ones I have had made did that..cut the slot then weld in a piece of flat stock and then shape.

Nicely DONE!

I need to shape it a little lower and further back without the round off like the washer has. The one shown is better than stock but not good enough. I need to make another prototype next week.

I just got back from the range. Shot 200 rounds through the 22 Kadet conversion then 150 through the 9mm slide with SAO trigger. Was able to shoot 3" groups at 25 yards with the CZ in windy conditions, almost as good as I did with my friend's red dot Ruger 22/45 Mark III. First time I've shot a gun with a red dot sight, lots of fun, but a 3.25 MOA dot seems a little large for 25 yards.

This is fun.

Joe