Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miller Precision Arms

I picked one up from a prize table.

It has huge burrs in the machined port areas that extend into the baffle area. Bullets will definitely strike the burrs.

It would take a lot of clean up before I would fire it.

Can anyone attest? Is this typical of their quality?

• 1 month later...

Ok, I finally got mine out to the range, and have at least a partial report.

1) Mine doesn't have any obvious burrs. The edges of the machined ports have plenty of tool marks, and the edges in some spots are a bit rough/serrated looking from it as they form a rather thin/sharp edge.

2) The weight on mine came in close to Jesse's with it going back and forth between 5.3 and 5.4 oz.

3) Muzzle control is pretty awesome. I don't have a titan or rolling thunder to compare, but muzzle control with 34.6oz rifle length gassed 18" barrel was better than a a jp upper with a 20" older style "midweight" barrel and the smaller benny coolie comp I got a chance to try a while ago. At 50 yards, aiming for the upper half of the lower a-zone, the dot did not leave the a-zone on a double tap.

4) I have no idea what it does for accuracy. It was a new barrel on a new upper build with a new dot on it and never got a zero before I ran out of time. Tried to do too many things in one visit and didn't bring what I should have to deal with a possibly broken optic.

5) Concussion is !@#$% insane. Brutal even. The top ports direct gas back at you, which plenty of people will find to be a deal breaker. Unsupported, it's pretty bearable. Unsupported near a wall it's kind of rough. Benched off a rest it's LOUD as the shooter. In trying to chase down a zero, resorted to clamping it to one of our low range tables with one hand which resulted in the muzzle being about 1-1.5 inches off the 4'x4' table surface. Seriously, just don't do that if you can possibly avoid it. I personally would not shoot it prone or off a bench without wrap around safety glasses as you will get lots of stuff in your eyes. The table I mentioned before, I cleaned it off based on my experience with less blasty comps, and the hammerhead was quite effective in informing me that I had missed plenty of dirt despite flipping it on it's side to dust it off. From prone it raises quite the dust signature.

I've got to get it back to the range to check accuracy, but if it isn't seriously accurate with this comp, the comp is going.

I have not seen one but this is what was said earlier in the thread.

I picked one up from a prize table.

It has huge burrs in the machined port areas that extend into the baffle area. Bullets will definitely strike the burrs.

It would take a lot of clean up before I would fire it.

Can anyone attest? Is this typical of their quality?

END QUOTE

Does not sound like an improvement to me. I don't think you can improve the titan other than by making in smaller. It has no muzzle jump on my rifle. I had a double with my trigger a few matches back and both rounds hit a 6 inch steel auto popper at 130 yards. That shows just how effective the Titan comp is.

Pat

It's not a ripoff of a Titan, totally different design altogether, with booster nozzle radiused ports. I've never seen keep my redot dead center on target before, I mean.. it doesn't move at all. That being said it is loud as a mo-fo, but then again.. so are top fuel dragsters.

This is the best IMHO, and the Miculek is the value leader.. again, IMHO.

It's not a ripoff of a Titan, totally different design altogether, with booster nozzle radiused ports. I've never seen keep my redot dead center on target before, I mean.. it doesn't move at all. That being said it is loud as a mo-fo, but then again.. so are top fuel dragsters.

This is the best IMHO, and the Miculek is the value leader.. again, IMHO.

It looks almost identical in shape. The ports just look slightly different. My titan keeps my reticle dead center so I am happy. Nothing against new ideas but it just look like someone copied another good design here. Any comp that works good is going to be loud. Just a fact of life I have come to accept.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The external dimensions will look similar becuase it's (i believe) the largest legal.. but the titan only has flat sides, this has booster nozzel curves in it. Like a negative mold of an egg. Totally different. I've A/B'd it side-by-side with the Titan on the same day, allong with a Cooly.. and it's a slight bit better, but a slight bit louder.

The Miculek is my fav for size/cost/noise.