Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magtech primer problems

Glock26Toter

Hello, I have a situation I thought someone can help me with.

Basically, my 9mm Major load is 6.8gr of Win Autocomp, witha 124gr TCJ Round nose, and Magtech Small Rifle primers... with a "D" on them.

Yes, all the packaging says "Small Rifle "C" primers" but the primers have a D on them.

When I started shooting a couple of people told me "you can't use pistol primers" due to "overpressure" signs on my brass. I'll attach a picture here, and they do have primer smear that looks like overpressure. However, after all my tests this is not the case. Here's what I did to test.

1. The chronograph reads an average of 1390FPS.

2. The chronograph reads the same with other primers (nothing else changing). I tested with CCI, and Win Small Rifle primers. Same load, same velocity, but normal looking primers with both alternate brands.

3. My gunsmith had the same result with the Magtech primers I supplied him... however HIS Magtech primers have a "C" on them and they worked without issue.

I've been conversing with Magtech and supplying them with all this same info and I'm waiting for what they say, but thought I would see if anyone else is seeing anything similar. I've included a picture of the same load with Winchester and Magtech so you can see. post-38059-0-58787900-1334099713_thumb.j

thanks.

FWIW another forum posted that they had e-mailed Magtech about the letters stamped on the primers. They stated that the letters indicated the origin point of manufacturing. They were not an indication of primer function.

Welcome to the Forums. :cheers:

Edited by Youngeyes

Determining pressure of a particular load from how a primer looks after its been set off isn't very accurate.

But looking at your fired rounds it don't look too bad considering the edges of the primer are still a bit rounded.

You are getting a bit of primer flow which left as is will probably fill up your firing pin hole and cause you malfunctions down the road.

Thanks guys.

yeah, Magtech said the same thing about the C and D, but I'm questioning a mistake made at the manufacturer since we are, in fact, seeing a performance difference based on the letter. And one reason I posted here is to get some opinions as to whether I should continue running these primers until I can switch to Winchester. I feel safe, but by the time I use up 5000 will my gun hate me?

I mean, it's been soooooo good to me so far!

I tried loading Autocomp in .38 SC major pf loads, 168-170 pf with Magtech SR primers (with the D on them). I had signs of pressure pretty much like what you have. I didnt have those signs with CCI SR primers. I would use up the Magtech then move on to something else. Only bought Magtech stuff cause thats all that was available at the time during the primer shortage recently. for what they charge for them I would pay the little extra money for the domestic brands.